Ram.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by That Scott Guy, Jun 14, 2008.

1. That Scott Guy macrumors newbie

Hey all!

I have an iMac 2.4Ghz
    I only have 1GB of ram in the system and im wanting to upgrade it to maybe 3 or 4 GB.

I have an old windows computer which has 2Gb of DDR Ram.
    Now i was wondering would this ram work in the Mac? or is there special designed ram for the mac itself? & Where would i get this from?

Thanks!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

We're going to need more information in order to be able to answer your question. There are several different 2.4 GHz iMac models, using either 667 MHz PC2-5300 DDR2 or 800 MHz PC2-6400 DDR2. And without knowing anything about your PC, we have no idea what kind of RAM you have in there. If it's the same type of RAM, there's a very good chance it will work. But if it's just DDR RAM as you suggest and not DDR2 RAM, not only will it not work in your iMac, it won't physically fit into your iMac's RAM slots.

3. That Scott Guy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply!

I tried to install the mac from my windows computer and it was DDR not DDR 2 so it woudn't fit.

How can i tell what module my Imac is?

And is there any special supplier for Imac RAM?

Thanks

EDIT:

i have just noticed i have posted this in the wrong section (Mac air)

This is mean to be in the IMAC Section.

4. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

There's no "special Mac RAM", any RAM will work if its of a correct type. For your type see the manual that came with your Mac.

If you have Radeon 2400, you have a current generation iMac, if you have a Radeon 2600 graphics card, you have the older generation.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Go to the Apple menu, pull down to About this Mac..., choose More Info, choose Memory. This will show you the memory that is installed in it now.

The choices are PC2-5300 (667 MHz) or PC2-6400 (800 MHz)

The RAM modules are DDR2 SODIMMs (laptop sized RAM), so DIMMs from a PC desktop won't work.

Guides : Mac Hardware : Buying RAM