Ramblings of My Excitement

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Focusing on anything but my new watch for the next week is going to be difficult. I ordered at 3:07 this morning and haven’t been able to go back to sleep - it’s already started. My job doesn’t offer “Too Excited to Focus” time off.

I’ve spent the time since ordering looking through the depths of the internet at accessories, and reading and posting on Mac Rumors.

I’m like a kid awaiting my toys on Christmas morning. It’s silly, but part of the anticipation is that I’ve been specifically saving the cash from selling things around the house in an envelope marked “Apple Watch 4.” I’ve been slowly paying down debt, so I’m happy that I can reap the benefit of the rewards points on my credit card, but won’t pay any interest.

Since selling my S2 last Friday, I have been playing dress-up with my husband’s S3 this week as I wonder how the slightly bigger 40mm will feel.

My first S2 stopped working 11 months in and was replaced under warranty. In June, the screen on the replacement detached from the watch body. Apple wanted more than I wanted to pay to fix it, so I had a third-party repair done. The repair resulted in the top of the screen not being flush with the body, so I was afraid to take it swimming after that. (They warned me that it wouldn’t be perfect.) $45 for good-enough for a few months until a new watch came out was an easier pill to swallow.

Long post short - I’m excited!

What is everyone else’s excitement build-up story?

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Wow. Quite the horror story as far as your history with AW has been.

I purchased a Series 3 Nike+ sport last year when I got my X and AirPods. I thought for sure that I would make it last a few years but that Series 4 is SBSS is irresistible for me. It'll be my first foray into the stainless watch so I'm REALLY excited. Got a 10/5 - 10/12 shipping date with Apple but placed a second order with Best Buy and already got the charge on my card so hopefully that means I'll get it next week. The order details link they sent me is currently broken so I won't know for sure until that starts working.

The anticipation is killing me!

Reactions: Smoovejayy

caligurl

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
socal
i definitely relate to apple excitement! (not so much the bad luck with watches... since i'm still wearing a product release black aluminum and a mid release series 0 rose gold. gonna miss my pretty pink watch.....)

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
I got my first Apple Watch (Series 3) at the end of December. I fell in love with it. Had around 180 days in a row of closing all my rings. Then I lost it in a fire at the beginning of July. So I've been without all summer. I couldn't bring myself to buy another with rumors of a bigger screen. Glad I held off now! Still, it was a hard summer with no watch. The lack of watch combined with the heat of the summer was just enough to make me too lazy to get out there walking. So it will be nice to get back into that.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Lesson learned! I got Apple Care this time. If my S2 were still trucking, I probably would have used it another year. It served my needs just fine. The battery-life was more than adequate for a half-marathon I ran earlier this year. Honestly though, with all of the new bells and whistles on the S4, I’m not heart-broken at this point over the S2 pooping itself. I hope to be happy with the S4 for three years with as much as it cost. I got the stainless steel version again.

i definitely relate to apple excitement! (not so much the bad luck with watches... since i'm still wearing a product release black aluminum and a mid release series 0 rose gold. gonna miss my pretty pink watch.....)
I had the silver aluminum S0 and had no issues with the build quality. I chose the aluminum, since it was a Apple’s first foray into wearables and knew the follow-up iterations would come with significant improvements. Plus I didn’t know if I would actually use/like it. I skipped the S1, because the S0 just wasn’t old enough for me to justify a new one. After my husband got the stainless steel S1, I appreciated the look of it over the aluminum and knew my next watch would be the ss, whenever the time came. I upgraded to the S2 for the faster overall operation and snappy response. I’m just hoping my experience with the stainless steel and sapphire screen aren’t issues that I should just expect as a result of the metal and screen materials.

I got my first Apple Watch (Series 3) at the end of December. I fell in love with it. Had around 180 days in a row of closing all my rings. Then I lost it in a fire at the beginning of July. So I've been without all summer. I couldn't bring myself to buy another with rumors of a bigger screen. Glad I held off now! Still, it was a hard summer with no watch. The lack of watch combined with the heat of the summer was just enough to make me too lazy to get out there walking. So it will be nice to get back into that.
Oh no! I hope it was a camp fire and not something catastrophic! If it was, it may have been the stress you likely dealt with that made walking seem like a chore, more so than laziness. Either way, I’m glad you have your new watch to look forward to. Here’s to the many walks ahead.

Lennyvalentin

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2011
I'm usually terrible with waiting for stuff, but this time I'm kinda alright with it. Last time I waited for an Apple Watch was at the original launch (in my country), and I got it on launch day. THAT wait was friggin' agonizing I tell ya, I hungered for it since BEFORE the unveiling the prior autumn! (I'm such a damn gadget nerd... lol) Still wearing that watch btw. Battery hasn't swollen and popped/cracked the display, back hasn't fallen off like for some other people and so on. It just keep on tickin'. ...Metaphorically, of course. ;)

Pre-ordered a 44mm stainless space black today, to replace my 42mm silver Sport model. Checked a Series 3 SB, and it actually looks good with regular white rubber sport band, so I hope it works well with my white-lugged pride edition nylon band (as well as the white/black Nike rubber sport band which I've been looking at) - and that the lugs on existing bands are flush with the new, larger case. If not, I suppose I'll just have to stick to newly purchased bands that are specifically marked to be compatible with Series 4, because non-flush lugs trigger my OCD... *shrug* First world problems eh!

Still pretty excited to get my new watch, because you know, water proofing for swimming, GPS, LTE - big important stuff my current model doesn't have at all. Oh, and also better battery life and much faster performance - OG models are sooo slow these days. I'd love to have a watch that's all slick and smooth running everywhere and doesn't almost run out of juice after playing back music stored on the watch to my airpods for 15-20 minutes... Ugh. Still, the waiting isn't so hard this time because I HAVE a watch right now, and while it isn't super duper fantastic it still is quite serviceable. Battery lasts all day even with some exercising, it keeps track of the time, weather, my calendar stuff, health rings, notifications, reminders... It's a great little pal to have on my arm. It's been a very good experience overall since the much-improved wOS 3, even considering the juddering animations and performance hickups.

So, fun fun in the days ahead, I hope! :)

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah

I purchased a Series 3 Nike+ sport last year when I got my X and AirPods. I thought for sure that I would make it last a few years but that Series 4 is SBSS is irresistible for me. It'll be my first foray into the stainless watch so I'm REALLY excited. Got a 10/5 - 10/12 shipping date with Apple but placed a second order with Best Buy and already got the charge on my card so hopefully that means I'll get it next week. The order details link they sent me is currently broken so I won't know for sure until that starts working.

The anticipation is killing me!
I thought about doing a Best Buy pre-order, but they (BB) wanted $799 for the SBSS Series 4, where it's $749 on the Apple Site. Waiting a couple weeks is worth more than the $50 extra BB wants, so I ordered through Apple.

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
I thought about doing a Best Buy pre-order, but they (BB) wanted $799 for the SBSS Series 4, where it's $749 on the Apple Site. Waiting a couple weeks is worth more than the $50 extra BB wants, so I ordered through Apple.
Wowzers - I haven’t heard of BB exceeding the retail price like that.

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
Strange. My order total for my Best Buy purchase was the exact same to the penny as the one from the Apple Store app.

oeagleo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2016
West Jordan, Utah
Strange. My order total for my Best Buy purchase was the exact same to the penny as the one from the Apple Store app.
I was going to do a screen capture of the price, but now, (apparently) BB has sold out of the 42mm Stainless Space Black watches, as they're not listed. Oh well, not a big deal, I like the idea that if I buy from Apple, and don't like it, I can get an immediate return on my debit card. Probably can with Best Buy also, but I know there's no hassle at the Apple Store.

Reactions: Bozley0621

Knowlege Bomb

macrumors 604
Feb 14, 2008
Madison, WI
I was going to do a screen capture of the price, but now, (apparently) BB has sold out of the 42mm Stainless Space Black watches, as they're not listed. Oh well, not a big deal, I like the idea that if I buy from Apple, and don't like it, I can get an immediate return on my debit card. Probably can with Best Buy also, but I know there's no hassle at the Apple Store.
Well maybe that's a good sign for me since I was able to order one. I dunno. I just want it meow.

As far as returns go, I was just browsing through my purchase history and reminiscing about all of the phones I bought and returned with no issue whatsoever. There have been A LOT.

gorkt

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2007
I hear you. I love this week, the week between ordering and receiving the device. The anticipation is wonderful!

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
The Series 4 Apple Watch is actually in my opinion the _first_ Apple Watch of all the editions worth waiting for. The first generation Apple Watch was really an unknown factor of what to expect, as it was primarily just a notification device. It’s far more advanced than that now and I don’t even think Apple wants to advocate that it’s a notification device first like it was once was, as it’s more health oriented.

Reactions: Swisspo

MEJHarrison

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Oh no! I hope it was a camp fire and not something catastrophic! If it was, it may have been the stress you likely dealt with that made walking seem like a chore, more so than laziness. Either way, I’m glad you have your new watch to look forward to. Here’s to the many walks ahead.
Not a campfire, but not quite catastrophic either. It was a fire in our detached garage. So the house was fine and people were fine. My Apple Watch 3, iPad Pro 10.5" and wireless, noise-cancelling headphones were out there at the time and did not survive. Still anxiously awaiting an iPad event next month. Hopefully that happens.

jimbo1mcm

macrumors 68000
Mar 21, 2010
I've watched the Series 4 hands on videos a few times, but I am so desperate, I am now watching them in languages I don't understand!!!

Scott6666

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2008
Focusing on anything but my new watch for the next week is going to be difficult. I ordered at 3:07 this morning and haven’t been able to go back to sleep - it’s already started. My job doesn’t offer “Too Excited to Focus” time off.

I’ve spent the time since ordering looking through the depths of the internet at accessories, and reading and posting on Mac Rumors.

I’m like a kid awaiting my toys on Christmas morning. It’s silly, but part of the anticipation is that I’ve been specifically saving the cash from selling things around the house in an envelope marked “Apple Watch 4.” I’ve been slowly paying down debt, so I’m happy that I can reap the benefit of the rewards points on my credit card, but won’t pay any interest.

Since selling my S2 last Friday, I have been playing dress-up with my husband’s S3 this week as I wonder how the slightly bigger 40mm will feel.

My first S2 stopped working 11 months in and was replaced under warranty. In June, the screen on the replacement detached from the watch body. Apple wanted more than I wanted to pay to fix it, so I had a third-party repair done. The repair resulted in the top of the screen not being flush with the body, so I was afraid to take it swimming after that. (They warned me that it wouldn’t be perfect.) $45 for good-enough for a few months until a new watch came out was an easier pill to swallow.

This is just f’ed up. It’s a watch.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
...clipped...

We have a lot in common. I had decided I wouldn’t go for it this year, but at x:05 my order was in. This week it’s going to be hard to not think about it constantly but what’s worse is I’m retired so I have as much “too excited to focus” time as I want!
I too have sold everything in sight, even broke up my complete sport band collection. I will reap the credit card benefits, no interest just like you too.
I got my very first AW in September, the aluminum one. I was so addicted to it, the thought of going without it for a day was haunting me. Also I was so worried about scratching it that I ran the gamut of protectors. Finally I decided to pick up a SS on eBay. So, here I was with two.. and as the rumors started looking so great, I sold the aluminum one, got the brand new SS out and figured I could sell it too, and upgrade maybe.

I decided to go for it at less than 30 minutes til pre-order. I jumped in with both feet, what a luxury unnecessary thing this is! But, I ordered the gold SS 40. My 1st aluminum was space gray. My SS is black. What I jokingly refer to as ocd makes me wonder if ALL the bands will “go with” the gold. I’m pushing myself out of my neutral comfort zone: Gray/black. Nervous about color and size! But I can return it. Right?

So now, I need to really learn (and decide) how to correctly pair the new watch. I got errors like crazy in the past. My health app looks like I’ve had a dozen watches, and somewhere I saw backups like crazy too. And those errors. Should I just start fresh with one watch, instead of pairing both while I decide? Dunno, and there is no store here.
So if you want a friend to chat with while you wait... I’m out here with a hubby who doesn’t want to hear it so, whew thanks for asking! LOL

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
We have a lot in common. I had decided I wouldn’t go for it this year, but at x:05 my order was in. This week it’s going to be hard to not think about it constantly but what’s worse is I’m retired so I have as much “too excited to focus” time as I want!
I too have sold everything in sight, even broke up my complete sport band collection. I will reap the credit card benefits, no interest just like you too.
I got my very first AW in September, the aluminum one. I was so addicted to it, the thought of going without it for a day was haunting me. Also I was so worried about scratching it that I ran the gamut of protectors. Finally I decided to pick up a SS on eBay. So, here I was with two.. and as the rumors started looking so great, I sold the aluminum one, got the brand new SS out and figured I could sell it too, and upgrade maybe.

I decided to go for it at less than 30 minutes til pre-order. I jumped in with both feet, what a luxury unnecessary thing this is! But, I ordered the gold SS 40. My 1st aluminum was space gray. My SS is black. What I jokingly refer to as ocd makes me wonder if ALL the bands will “go with” the gold. I’m pushing myself out of my neutral comfort zone: Gray/black. Nervous about color and size! But I can return it. Right?

So now, I need to really learn (and decide) how to correctly pair the new watch. I got errors like crazy in the past. My health app looks like I’ve had a dozen watches, and somewhere I saw backups like crazy too. And those errors. Should I just start fresh with one watch, instead of pairing both while I decide? Dunno, and there is no store here.
So if you want a friend to chat with while you wait... I’m out here with a hubby who doesn’t want to hear it so, whew thanks for asking! LOL
Congrats on the gold stainless steel! I have a Seiko like this and love the color. My husband is a gadget nerd like me, so he entertains my musings. He also encouraged cleaning out the closets and making some fun cash in the process. :D

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
LOL. Forgive me, but you sure didn’t put much of a fight. :D
LOL guilty but I was on the fence without any intention until less than 30 mins to “time” .. guess I just couldn’t stand being left out. And I figured I could change my mind once I see it. I don’t see that happening but me in gold? That’s a stretch! My phones have always been space gray or black too.. I’m thinking the new personality will be fun to consider. :)

Reactions: matrix07

Bozley0621

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
LOL guilty but I was on the fence without any intention until less than 30 mins to “time” .. guess I just couldn’t stand being left out. And I figured I could change my mind once I see it. I don’t see that happening but me in gold? That’s a stretch! My phones have always been space gray or black too.. I’m thinking the new personality will be fun to consider. :)
Let your golden side shine. You’ll look fantabulous. You can always highlight the gold with a gold metal band or tone it down with another option.

Laryl

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2014
AZ
Let your golden side shine. You’ll look fantabulous. You can always highlight the gold with a gold metal band or tone it down with another option.
Thanks :) I will have 51 Apple bands, counting what I just ordered...just nervous about mixing gold with some of the pink/orange family. If it’s gold like it looks it will be like a wedding band, goes with everything because it’s gold (unlike the rose gold and aluminum family.. I wouldn’t have ordered gold aluminum)

Can’t wait

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.