RAMdisk and Minecraft

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by systole, Mar 24, 2011.

1. systole macrumors member

systole

Random question

Any MBP users implimented ramdisks? I've been running minecraft on a ubuntu server with it's built-in integration (/dev/shm), but was wondering if any power users have used it with success. The reason I'm asking is I want to speed up the generation of maps locally using MCMap Live, which renders each block, allowing for rotation and map slices by elevation.

2. sydenham macrumors regular

3. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I would help except i dont use ramdisks, i got 2GB 2.93GB burst on my server :)

4. Macsavvytech macrumors 6502a

Macsavvytech

I anwsered it for him :) unfortunately it will not be the responce he wanted his problem is simply that minecraft is badly coded

5. systole thread starter macrumors member

systole

Thanks

Thanks for all the responses... It just amazes me at the speed needed by storage to keep-up with MC.

6. euphoria47 macrumors member

How big a RAMdisk would you need to pull it off? I'll give it a whirl, but I only have 4gb, and have to leave some of my RAM as RAM too...

7. c1phr macrumors 6502

The entire storage/RAMdisk problem is now a non-issue with the move to MCRegion as the save format.

The only reason it caused problems before was because each chunk was tiny, and the game wrote new chunks and changed chunks on the disk far too often. MCRegion expands the size of a chunk, and effectively reduces the amount of files saved by MC by 500 to 1000 times.

As far as performance on OSX, that's a Java fault on the operating system. I agree that the game could be written better, but the hardware in the 2010 MBP that the person in the aforementioned post is far more than required to play the game smoothly.

8. systole thread starter macrumors member

systole

RamDisk size

as soon as my replacement MBP arrives, I plan on experimenting with a 1-2 GB ramdisk as I have 8 to work with. Thanks for giving it a go.

As for the new McRegion format, that's interesting. My main purpose for the post was to pull the map files off of my dedicated server and render them into layerable png files. Would implimenting a ramdisk speed-up the render at all? Hope that clarifies my original question.

9. c1phr macrumors 6502

I don't believe so, I know that on my Windows machine where I've done all my rendering, the CPU was the bottleneck, and the map loaded very quickly off the disk (I believe it actually cached the map files to RAM before rendering). Your mileage may vary with whatever software you may be using to render on OSX and Mac memory management. I would say it might be worth a try for that situation.

10. systole thread starter macrumors member

systole