Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blkmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
In my frustration (two hours of reading threads and posts!!!) I have come to my last resort... creating a new thread. I just recently ordered a MBP and like everything I own I can't keep it stock. I'm looking at replacing the ram but don't understand how to pick the right one. I know the new MBP are 1600 MHz, but I'm having trouble picking the right one as I really don't want to deal with mailing back returns and waiting. So I essentially have three questions:

1. Will any ram matching these specs work:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231582

2. What ram or suggestions do you suggest?

:confused: :confused: :confused:

PS: I know 16 GB isn't necessary, but I figure I might as well max it out. Also, fwiw I have ordered an Intel 330 240GB SSD that will be installed once the mac gets here.

sydenham

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2010
Yes it will work. The reccomended ram is supposed to be 1.35v however most people have luck with 1.5 variants. For the sake of saving yourself a hassle pay 20 dollars more and pick up some Corsair at Frys. That is if you have one local to you....

Spink10

Suspended
Nov 3, 2011
Oklahoma
In my frustration (two hours of reading threads and posts!!!) I have come to my last resort... creating a new thread. I just recently ordered a MBP and like everything I own I can't keep it stock. I'm looking at replacing the ram but don't understand how to pick the right one. I know the new MBP are 1600 MHz, but I'm having trouble picking the right one as I really don't want to deal with mailing back returns and waiting. So I essentially have three questions:

PS: I know 16 GB isn't necessary, but I figure I might as well max it out. Also, fwiw I have ordered an Intel 330 240GB SSD that will be installed once the mac gets here.

that RAM will work

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Looks like that RAM has a couple of good reviews from Mac users. That's probably the first place I'd be looking. Corsair and Crucial make good memory too.

blkmac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 21, 2012
Thanks for the speedy replies.

Yes it will work. The reccomended ram is supposed to be 1.35v however most people have luck with 1.5 variants. For the sake of saving yourself a hassle pay 20 dollars more and pick up some Corsair at Frys. That is if you have one local to you....

Never even considered Fry's. I'll head there and pick one up. Thanks.

One question, is Corsair considerable better or is it just the convenience factor?

bobcan

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
Sunny but Cold.. Canada
Is mushkin a reliable brand? Never heard of it. Also does CAS Latency 11 make a difference from CAS 9.

Mushkin is absolutely Very Reliable.. they have been around for many years, and are located in Denver, CO area.. Made in the USA baby!! ** says the Canadian!! :D

http://www.mushkin.com/About-Us.aspx

What your computer should likely have in it, according to the 'RAM Calculator' on their page:

http://www.mushkin.com/Memory/Essentials/997038.aspx

** All I can honestly say is that I am 'led to believe' the CL9 vs CL11 will not be as noticeable as going down to a slower RAM speed (mine could take 1333/10,600) and the 'PC3L' designation is for Low Voltage (1.35v) which the MBP's are designed for, as opposed to 1.5volt.. :apple:

Mine works great, all I can tell you from experience.. Sorry!!

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
Is mushkin a reliable brand? Never heard of it. Also does CAS Latency 11 make a difference from CAS 9.

Mushkin is good, Corsair is good. CAS 9 should be faster than CAS 11, but on a Mac they may both be running at the slower speed anyway.

Just watch for sales at Fry's. I bought some Crucial RAM for my mid 2009 MacBook Pro there a few months ago and it ended up being cheaper than Amazon or Newegg.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles

how THICK is your head? Did you break the wall? Picture? :apple:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008

If you're not running out of RAM at the moment, you're throwing money away at the wall along with your head, you know?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.