Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davnet75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Who knows the brand of the Ram istalled by Apple in the new imac 27" late 2013?
I'd like to buy the same brand from Amazon to expand to 24gb, :D
I'll received my new iMac on the 10 of October.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Who knows the brand of the Ram istalled by Apple in the new imac 27" late 2013?
I'd like to buy the same brand from Amazon to expand to 24gb, :D
I'll received my new iMac on the 10 of October.
Apple has used Hynix RAM in the past, but I don't know if that's the brand in that specific model. The brand is pretty much irrelevant, as long as the specifications match. There are many reputable brands that will work just fine. It's OK to mix brands.

Buying RAM

arncalars

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2013
Denmark
While waiting for my first imac 27" in Denmark

Is it just me or has Apple changed the orientation of the expandable RAM-blocks in this latest model.

I have seen a lot of unboxing videos and it looks like the "slits" on the RAM is on the right side compared to previous left side.

I'm upgrading with 2x8GB from Crucial with correct specifications = 24 GB total.

Please comment ?

Last edited:

tomnavratil

macrumors 6502a
Oct 2, 2013
Crucial claims that their late-2012 kit will work fine in the late-2013 iMac as they share they same RAM specs so I have ordered 2x16GB kits from Amazon.

Davnet75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Yes I know (and i hope) is possibile to use ram with same specs, and the Specs are the same of the ram used in the late 2012 model.
But I'd like to use (if possibile) the same brand too.
I've Made an important investiment into this new iMac, so I'd like to stay full paceful with the upgrading Ram. I'm sorry for my agitation :eek:
In my old MacBook Pro I used without any problem crucial ram but i'd extracted all the origianal Ram.

xxBURT0Nxx

macrumors 68020
Jul 9, 2009
The truth is that apple uses multiple suppliers for components, and so while someone can tell you what brand of RAM or SSD is inside their machine, it does not guarantee that you will have the same brand in your machine.

Why not go look for yourself?? You want to change the RAM and are so picky to have to buy the same brand, but you won't just open it up and look for the brand you should buy???

Davnet75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
The truth is that apple uses multiple suppliers for components, and so while someone can tell you what brand of RAM or SSD is inside their machine, it does not guarantee that you will have the same brand in your machine.

Why not go look for yourself?? You want to change the RAM and are so picky to have to buy the same brand, but you won't just open it up and look for the brand you should buy???

You are right off course! But my iMac will arrive on 10 october.... So i'd like to have the new ram for that date. ;)

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
You are right off course! But my iMac will arrive on 10 october.... So i'd like to have the new ram for that date. ;)

You won't know what brand is used in it until you open it up. Apple could use a different brand between different copies of the same model. There's nothing special about the RAM that Apple puts in its Macs. Any reputable brand will work just fine, and there is absolutely no impact from mixing brands.

Davnet75

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2013
Thank's very much.
So i can order 16Gb of Ram with the right specs, ... The same of the kind used in the late 2012 one.

bluescale

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
The RAM in my 27" iMac (received yesterday) was Hynix. I addd 16GB Crucial RAM (exact same spec as 2012), and it worked like a charm. I now have 24 GB running at 1600 MHz.

bluescale

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2013
Obviously that will make a difference (compared to me running with only 8GB) but when and how do you notice it the most?

I didn't do munch with the system before dropping the extra RAM in. I'm also coming from a late 2006 iMac with 4GB installed (and only 3GB officially supported), so this is so far removed from my previous computing experience (on a Mac - PCs are a different story), that it's hard to say.

Aside from servers I've worked on, this machine has more RAM than anything I've used before. Photoshop didn't break a sweat opening a 500MB PSD, which is more than I can say for my 8GB PC. On my old iMac, I wouldn't even bother trying a file that size.

rw3

macrumors 6502a
May 13, 2008
DFW, TX
The two RAM supplies that I've personally seen in the Late 2012 and the now the Late 2013 models are: Elpida & SK Hynix.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Actually it's even easier than that. You look up Memory in System Information and search the web with the manufacturing code. In my system I have memory from 2 different manufacturers. And remember that's the manufacturer of the memory, it does not necessarily reflect the brand of the memory. Crucial is owned by Micron and the Crucial labeled memory I've seen has a manufacturing code of 0x802C.

A partial list of these Vendor ID Codes:
  • 0x014F - Transcend Information
  • 0x2C00—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x802C—Micron Technology, Inc.
  • 0x80AD—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0x80CE—Samsung Electronics, Inc.
  • 0xAD00—Hynix Semiconductor Inc.
  • 0xCE00—Samsung Electronics, Inc.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 10.46.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-10-05 at 10.46.51 AM.png
    151.4 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
I just pulled 2 4GB from my new iMac; anyone need them?
If that's the Apple supplied memory and your system is still under warranty or Apple Care I recommend you keep them. Under odd circumstances Apple might want Apple memory if there is a system issue. But more importantly if Apple wants to swap your machine for a new one, you would want to give back the original Apple memory with the system and not lose your memory upgrade.

fhopper

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2007
Ks.
If that's the Apple supplied memory and your system is still under warranty or Apple Care I recommend you keep them. Under odd circumstances Apple might want Apple memory if there is a system issue. But more importantly if Apple wants to swap your machine for a new one, you would want to give back the original Apple memory with the system and not lose your memory upgrade.

Good advice, thanks.

NEVER MIND about that RAM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.