Ran Hardware Test...not good

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SolRayz, Nov 25, 2009.

1. SolRayz macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

It read:

Alert! Apple Hardware Test has detected an error.

4VDC/1/40000003: VideoController

Stupid Nvidia 8600 crap!!! I have been getting intermittent red noise lately. And today it was apparent during the apple boot screen.:mad: It seems to be happening more and more frequently now. What pisses me off is that this is the second 8600 failure I've had with this mbp. Apple replaced the logic board over a year ago when the original gpu began failing. What the hell is the point of replacing logic boards with more fawked logic boards!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Now I am living in the Netherlands and their are no apple stores around me!:mad::mad::mad:

I posted this video on youtube a few weeks ago when this all started happening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz3Qy0iL1Mk

2. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

How about you confront them face to face, and tell them that you are tired of having GPU problems and ask for a replacement that does not have the cursed 8600 card?

3. copykris macrumors 6502a

copykris

how do you confront someone face to face when they're not around?

there's no apple stores in holland

4. gorjan macrumors 6502

Well, there must be an authorized reseller/tech around?

5. SolRayz thread starter macrumors 6502a

SolRayz

I have read that some have had luck convincing apple/apple stores to replace these defective units with 8600m's with newer mbp's. Is this true?

After having been through this before with apple, I am honestly tired and bored with this whole issue. I know replacing the logic board again will put me right back in the same spot one year from now. And by then the 3 year extended gpu warranty will have expired for me. I'll be forced to drop another 2G's on a slightly less Pro, Macbook Pro.

I am not super rich so, in July '07, it was important for me to invest $2499 + tax on a product that would last more than a couple years. I am really pissed that apple has more or less push this issue under the rug. We should have all demanded a full recall with DEFECTIVE FREE logic board replacements. If that required redesigning the logic board with an ATI mobility card than so be it. Nvidia should have fit some of the bill anyway, even if it meant the company. I personally wouldn't mind seeing that company buried after this fiasco.

But anyway, Apple is reaping in billions now from all there success. They really should have bit the bullet in the beginning, and started a process of redesigning these faulty logic boards for our MBP's. Not doing this saddens me a little and makes me more skeptical of future :apple: products.

I am now on my 2nd logic board, about to be my 3rd
    I am also on my 3rd lcd display after a number of unacceptable defects.

I am loyal apple customer with mbp, macbook, 2 iphones, AEBS, mighty mouse, apps, apps, and more apps etc. etc.

6. mrtekkid macrumors regular

I had luck getting my old MBP 15" mid 2007 replaced for free. I got the run around for quite awhile though. Had the three year Apple Care on it, and the GPU died two or three times. (I forget, it happened so often).

Anyhow on top of that I had some dead pixels and my IR port died too. They continued to tell me to take it in for repair. I would and then call them up and they would tell me that they could not replace a system that was not broken, although they had fixed it over 4+ times in one and a half years or so.

Told them that I understood that stuff breaks and that is what warranties are for, but that when my warranty ended in a year and the card died again they would tell me to replace it out of my own pocket. Said that I never got a working system right out of the gate and they eventually replaced it.

I think you have to keep at them sometimes. Be polite, but firm.

I got another run around with getting the refund on my AppleCare too for the last year. Told me they were refunding it to the card I initially bought the computer with, then when I called back two months later was told that it was processed and that I should check my next statement. Two months later still nothing. Called them up and asked and I was told that I could not get a refund on Apple Care for a unit bought back in 1985. Almost laughable actually. Got ahold of someone higher though and they told me since my old system was refurbed the old history was archived and only higher ups could see it. Now I have a check for $84 something hanging on my fridge.

Plus on top of that they have replaced two of my iPods.... once for having a faulty click wheel (iPod video 2 years ago) and my iPod Touch which backlight failed. Both of those issues were directly handled through my wonderful Apple Store but the computer was a whole other issue. Not fun getting sold an expensive lemon and told to "go away" from the person who sold it to you.