Ran into a print problem.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by lJoSquaredl, Dec 24, 2014.

1. lJoSquaredl macrumors regular

So i'm still learning, and usually just export jpegs for people at 50% or 100% with a quality setting around 80. My friends tried to get one of them printed yesterday tho and called saying it came out very distorted. I assumed this was just cuz it was a jpeg, and figured I should send em a TIFF. Would this solve the problem? Should I worry about the DPI setting at all for print work? I usually just leave it at 300 at all times. Very unskilled still with print work, haven't had any experience yet with giving people exact resolutions/ratios/dpi/etc.

Also when it comes to ISO, is there a maximum I should try not to hit for print work?

2. DevinPitcher macrumors regular

Why would you save it and give it to them at anything less than full, original size? Save it at full resolution, 100% quality next time.

3. logista macrumors member

logista

If the image is distorted, they probably had it printed at a different aspect ratio than what you gave them. For instance if you gave them an uncropped DSLR image, it likely has a 2x3 aspect (i.e. printable at 4x6). If they tried to print an 8x10 without cropping it to fit, it would seem to be squished down from the top.

Double 4 = 8 but double 6 = 12, so what should be 12 inches tall printed in 10 inches would make everyone look chubby ;)

4. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

I am continually amazed at the number of people who are oblivious to the concept of aspect ratio.

5. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

I was unaware they were going to use em for prints. I figured maybe Facebook, wallpapers on a computer, just stuff like that.

6. lJoSquaredl thread starter macrumors regular

She was using a Kodak Kiosk and said she was doing 4x6 prints, prolly for cards. Said it looked good on her phone and computer, but just didn't look as crisp/clear as on those. Maybe it's just the ISO that's bothering her? I didn't go over 2k, most were around 800-1600, and its a 6D so the noise should be handled well.