ran macbook retina till no more battery

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by anonymous4a, Aug 29, 2012.

1. anonymous4a macrumors 6502

hey guys, i was using my macbook retina till there was no more battery, basically it shut down on me while i was still using it. This was the first time, is it bad for the battery? I read that you don't need to calibrate the battery so I'm wondering how it affects the battery if it does happen

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't hurt it, but it's not necessary to fully drain the battery, unless there's no AC power available. Just recharge it. Run on battery whenever you need to and plug it in whenever you can. You can plug or unplug at any time, regardless of the charged percentage. Just make sure you don't run on AC power all the time, as your battery needs to be used regularly to stay healthy. This should answer most, if not all, of your battery/charging questions:

3. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

It's all good, in fact you did a favour for the computer. All macs need to be calibrated including retina at least once a month. Now charge it all up to 100% again before using on battery and do at least once a month. Many people recommend getting Apple care as battery replacement is like $299. Not sure though as I believe the RMBP has the 1,000 battery cycle 5 year normal use batteries.

4. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

It should not effect the battery negatively, just recharge it or use it while plugged in for a while and you're good to go.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

False. The built-in batteries in the newer Mac unibody notebooks come pre-calibrated and do not require regular calibration like the removable batteries in older Apple notebooks.

It is not necessary to fully discharge and recharge a battery. Regular use will exercise the battery sufficiently. Read the Battery FAQ to learn the facts.

6. GeekOFComedy macrumors 6502a

All I know is I had to do that to the removable battery 17" MBP Non unibody and assumed it was still the case for all portables. :cool: Guess that means I can finally delete the iCal events!