Ran my new 3GS down to 0, now its super slow?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by patrickdunn, Jul 10, 2009.

1. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I just got a 3GS and ran it to 0, let it charge for a bit, then turned it back on. Now it's at 17% and running super slow, I can't even open contacts. Unlocking the screen takes 3 min. What the heck is going on?

2. ian.maffett macrumors 6502

ian.maffett

You likely had it running on reserve - try not to run it to 0, I suppose. I would reboot it now that it has some juice in it.

3. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I let it get that low, because I thought you were supposed to "calibrate" the battery. I don't think I will do this again. :eek:

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Calibration is something to do every month or so not right after getting the phone. Also, you stated you just charged it "up a bit," so I'm not sure why you didn't charge it fully.

5. patrickdunn thread starter macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

I haven't disconnected it from the wall charger yet. It's still charging. I let it charge a bit before turning it on.

6. TroyBoy30 macrumors 68000

TroyBoy30

7. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

Doesn't the phone automatically power on once it has enough juice to run?

8. ZipZap macrumors 601

Never run the battery to 0.

Li Batteries need to be kept charged to remain in good shape.

When not is use, and practical...keep the iphone on its charger.

9. notjustgc macrumors 6502

notjustgc

You can't, technically, without special procedures. Devices like this actually define 2%-5% as "0%" for the user in order to protect the battery and ensure it'll get back to charging without issue.

That said, you still want to keep the "full cycle" to once every 60 days or so, because you really are hurting the battery every time it dips below 10-20%. Also, try to exercise a little self-control and leave the iPhone off/alone while it charges back up to 100%.

10. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Apple specifically recommends a full cycle every month for iPhones, they have a website for battery information you can refer to if you wish.

And to the OP, this is likely just a coincidental issue. A correctly working battery has zero influence on the speed and performance of other components. And I find it unlikely that your battery is somehow broken in such a specific and perfect way that you would be able to do anything yet have it work slowly. Chances are you've got something else going on. If a restart doesn't fix it, you'll probably have to do a restore.

11. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

Would try to restart and go from there. Don't see how battery would be causing your issues