Ran Out of TV Inputs

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Resist, Jul 18, 2011.

  1. Resist macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    I am in need of a solution. I want to get an AppleTV but my 2003 Samsung DLP TV doesn't have HDMI inputs and all its inputs are being used for other devices. What options do I have, besides buying a newer TV? Switches, cables or splitters perhaps? I really don't want to unplug a device to make room for the AppleTV.
  2. Jayrcee macrumors regular


    Feb 10, 2006
    Yep, a HDMI switch is what you need. Try monoprice.
  3. littlepooch21 macrumors regular

    Sep 26, 2010
    How is that one? Does it auto switch? Can it use 3d stuff? Can I use a harmony remote with it?

  4. blueroom macrumors 603


    Feb 15, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    RPTVs have pretty much zero value today. A modern HDTV with multiple HDMI inputs and ATSC can be had for what you'll wind up paying for a new bulb for your old DLP RPTV.

    Don't waste money on a converter, think of it as a discount on a new TV.
  5. MovieCutter macrumors 68040


    May 3, 2005
    Washington, DC
    I've used it with my universal remote doing the switching. As for the 3D, it's total crap 1) Why on Earth would you want 3D? 2) 3D is only supported in HDMI 1.4
  6. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

    Oct 25, 2008
    You have a Samsung DLP from 2003 that hasn't self destructed yet? Wow.

    Our 50" 1080p 2007 model died by 2010.

    Given that your TV doesn't have HDMI inputs, it would probably be best to look into a new tv.

    HDCP handshake issues could end up being a major pain in the ass without proper HDMI. The ATV uses HDCP and gets mad if it can't handshake with the TV.
  7. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    Really? A replacement lamp for my TV costs less than $100.

    Yes I've had to replace the lamp a few times over the years. Also replaced the color wheel under warranty the first year and then just last year it shattered apart, so I replaced it myself. But all in all, my 61" Samsung's picture quality is still amazing, so I see no point in replacing it until it fails beyond repair.
  8. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    As I said my TV doesn't have HDMI inputs. So I can't use an HDMI switch.
  9. diminiko macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2010
    Another possibility is to buy a new AV receiver which can take multiple HDMI inputs and have a single component output to your TV. You can then switch via the receiver rather than the source inputs on the TV.

    FYI: Component - these are 3 RCA jacks colored blue, red, and green, and labeled Y, Pb, and Pr.
  10. mchalebk macrumors 6502a

    Feb 4, 2008
    Are there receivers that downconvert HDMI to component? I know my Denon won't. It will upconvert all sources to HDMI, but won't downconvert HDMI to analog. I assume it has to do with HDCP. I assume most receivers are similar.

    There are devices out there that will convert HDMI to analog. Not sure how good they are.
  11. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030


    Oct 31, 2007
    Austin, TX
    mchalebk's correct. Even if the receiver has HDMI in and component out, it's not going to output an HDMI signal (digital) over component (analog). A digital to analog converter is necessary for that, and they are too pricey to be feasible for the OP.

    OP, I know you like your TV, but if you want to use an AppleTV 2 you need a new one.
  12. diminiko macrumors member

    Jun 30, 2010
    My bad.

    If you really don't want to buy a new TV, how about investing in an ATV1 for component out?
  13. KevinC867, Jul 19, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2011

    KevinC867 macrumors 6502a

    Jun 8, 2007
    Saratoga, CA
    There are some adapters out there which will convert HDMI to component video and take care of the HDCP issues. Here's one example which seems to be well liked: www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Component-Converter-Support-Surround/dp/B004F9XVBC

    There are other models available for much less which don't get reviewed as well. Also, for somewhat more money, the HDFury2/3 products seem to work very well.

    Since you don't have a free component input, you will also need a component input switch. Something like this: www.amazon.com/Port-Component-Video-Switch-Learning/dp/B001TK9SEE
  14. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    I don't want the expense of another receiver or have to power it. But yes, I already knew what component is. But thanks for the suggestion.
  15. Resist thread starter macrumors 68030

    Jan 15, 2008
    Both of these devices are probably what I need, but the total cost is kind of expensive. Yet I really hate to have to buy a new TV just yet. Yes my TV has limitations, but I like the size and form factor of it.

Share This Page