Ran updater, but computer won't restart. Ever. or Logout. etc

Discussion in 'macOS' started by shoelessone, Nov 7, 2007.

1. shoelessone macrumors 6502

I don't know if this has anythign to do with updater, or what, but I tried to run the updater and install the newest version of iTunes and when I tried to restart the computer, nothing happened.

3 minutes later, I get a message "Could not restart because the application _____ failed to quite". I say "_______" but in reality it was firefox, then VLC, then the updater itself! Everytime I tried to restart, after the restart timed out, a different proram was the cause. Eventually, only finder was left. Finder quite, and I thought, "ah, finally, we're logging out", but then FINDER timed out the restart. Only, this time there was no error message because finder was not running anymore.

I'm totally new to Macs (well, basically) and have no idea what I should do to fix this... anybody?

<3

2. rmh macrumors regular

Have you been able to just turn off the computer manually then turn it back on to see if it happens again?

3. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Yep, same problem after a manual restart.

And I hate to beat my compuer like that too.

4. rmh macrumors regular

It seems like some files got screwed up. If I were in your socks (because you don't have shoes), I would backup my data and restore, only if it wasn't too big of a hassle to do so.

Anyone else have any input about an easier solution??

5. shoelessone thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the support :)

This is still not resolved, and frankly I don't feel like reinstalling OSX at the moment. Luckily I don't need to restart for anything, although I don't think the updater will work until it does a "proper" reboot.