Random Applications showing under "About this Mac"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yk2366, May 5, 2010.

1. yk2366 macrumors member

Hello,
    I'm new to Mac, and I had Q's. When I check Applications under About My Mac, I see applications such as epson scanner, equation editor, expansion slot utility, Hp Printer utility, Hp Utility, HPFaxBackend, HPScanner, Lexmark Printer Utility, Lexmark Scanner, LexmarkCUPDriver,several Setup and Setup Assistant Apps, etc and I have never downloaded any of these. Do you think there is something wrong?

Also, when I checked my coconut battery, it said it was 2 months old after 2 weeks and now it is up to 3 months old.

Everything else seems fine. Should I be concerned? Thanks.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Do you mean on the drop down menu under the :apple: or the actual About This Mac window?

[​IMG]

Or somewhere else? Do you by any chance mean Activity Monitor?
    [​IMG]

Btw, what Mac and what Mac OS X version do you use?

[​IMG]

Ah, you meant this:

[​IMG]

That is the System Profiler and what you see there is perfectly normal, as many items there are not user installed per se, but applications needed by Mac OS X and all the installed applications. No worries.

3. matoch macrumors member

I"m pretty sure most of the things you posted are installed by apple along with the OS.

I don't know anything about coconut battery but since it's marking in 1 month increments it was probably actually 2.5 months old when you first checked it.

4. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I have loads of programs listed that I have not installed. I guess its normal :confused: or if its not it has never caused me any problems.

I also wouldn't trust coconut battery - the battery could have been produced slightly before the macbook.

5. matoch macrumors member

I'm pretty sure they when apple -> About this mac -> More Info and then clicked on applications on the left hand side.

6. yk2366 thread starter macrumors member

oops sorry for the confusion. yes I meant under about this mac > Contents > Software > Applications

It is weird that so many different application come pre-installed when I would never use it, such as Epson printer app, etc.

My Coconut battery aged 1 month in a week. I'm not sure if it's the battery or the coconut application.

Thanks for all the replies!

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

That's because your Mac was produced three months ago and not when you bought it, thus the time discrepancy.

Also, those applications are small, take up almost nor HDD space and currently don't run if used. Windows has something similar I guess, but you'll almost never see it. So don't worry, don't delete anything you don't know about and enjoy your new OS.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]