Random ass SMS sounds...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by newyorksole, Sep 13, 2008.

1. newyorksole macrumors 68030

Tell me why my phone will go off and say I have a text and it'll pop up. Then like 15 minutes later my phone will make the sound yet there is no text.

What gives? Anyone else got that glitch.

This is with 2.1 software.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I thought I had a similar issue...when I was driving, I swore I felt it go off 3 times, then I checked it, and had one text, but I think I was just feeling stuff...happens from time to time with me.

Not saying that you are having the same thing, just telling a story

3. Eric. macrumors regular

2.1 is supposed to notify you two more times when you get a text instead of just once.

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

maybe I'm not going crazy!

still....2 times...swore I felt 3.

So maybe a little crazy??

5. mrat93 macrumors 65816

mrat93

I think a new feature in 2.1 is multiple text alerts.

6. Eric. macrumors regular

Initial notification + 2 additional notifications = 3 notifications. ;)

7. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Haha...guess I need to watch that keynote/ read the full features list still :)

8. J. Dangerously macrumors newbie

SMS Reminders = Me Likey!

I think it's a good thing, especially since a large majority of my incoming text messages are something to the tune of:

"Hey, I'm here at XXXXX, meet me in the lobby when you arrive."

So getting a reminder or two if I miss the initial notification is very nice. I tried this out last night, and it works beautifully! The slightly louder speaker volume of v2.1 helps as well!

Thanks, Apple!

"Johnny Dangerously"

9. Rybold macrumors 6502a

Rybold

Right now, iTunes allows us to make custom ringtones from songs and download them to our phone. iTunes needs to allow us to download additional "SMS alert tones" !!!!

10. manhattanmania macrumors regular

i've experienced this! it was NOT the multiple reminders, at least in my case. i was listening to music then all of a sudden i hear the text sound. i look at my phone, nothing pops up. i check the messages, nothing! i thought i was imagining it, i guess im not insane.

definitely a bug....

11. Linuss macrumors regular

No, it's definitely a reminder.

It won't turn the screen on when it reminds you. Plus, the first time you look at the text and do anything on the phone, it won't show it as a bubble over the text icon.

12. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

So to the people who don't like SMS alerts I think I have found how to halt them.

When you first receive you message and it is a stupid one like "okay" or "thanks" Hit the sleep button, while it is on the display. I am pretty sure I did that last night and I didn't get a notification later. However, I can't be 100% certain as I am home for the weekend and I was texting a lot so I don't know if that was the sole thing that stopped the notification, but I think this works.

Confirmation? :D