random audio that says "it's xx hours"

Discussion in 'macOS' started by hardrio, Jan 12, 2010.

1. hardrio macrumors newbie

hi,
    i have snow leopard and sometimes i hear an audio that says "it's xx hours" (i.e it's 24 hours) singing (it' s very boaring). i don't understand which applications launchs this audio and why (of course it is not itunes)

2. mstrze macrumors 68000

Do you have any odd Dashboard apps? I have one that is like the old program 'Eliza' that asks me questions and such. I can hear it when I accidentally enter Dashboard and it tells me good morning or good afternoon as it turns on...even after I close Dashboard again.

3. hardrio thread starter macrumors newbie

what is an odd Dashboard app?
    i don't have eliza
    i was seeing a movie through front view and no other app was opened (i.e. amule)
    it coud be time machine? but i don't find any setting about notifications or similar settings

thanks

4. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

System Preferences > Time and Date
    Turn off Announce time.

5. mstrze macrumors 68000

'odd dashboard apps' would be any app that might announce something in the background. Dashboard apps can be running without you necessarily knowing, in the background.

Open up your dashboard (usually a click on the middle button or roller ball on the old Might Mouse) and see if you have any clock app that might be running and announcing the time or something.

Might also want to open system preferences for time and date and see if you don't have some option checked to announce the hour audiably. The sing-song sounds like one of the default voices too. Bruce maybe? Can't remember which is which.

While in your system preferences, go to Voices and check and see what voice you have, my guess is that it's the sing-song 'boring' voice.

Last thing to check, if there is not an option to announce time in time and date, it to Universal Access in System preferences. There is a whole host of choices for visual, audible and motor-skill handicaps and I would bet that announcing time would be one of them.

6. hardrio thread starter macrumors newbie

yess, thanks!