random beeps....

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by snoo, Nov 11, 2010.

1. snoo macrumors newbie

I have had my MacBook Pro for about 2 years now and it was fine. Then starting yesterday i had 4 occurance of beeps! they are sharp and loud they beep according to a rhythm of 4 time it goes beep then 3 consecutive faster beeps. i dont know what is wrong with it... does it have to do with virus... or me dowloading something wrong etc etc.

i have seen many saying its a hard drive problem but im hoping that isnt the case..... as the apple store near me is well..... not near.... so is there a was of configurtion whether on terminal etc etc that i could do to see the status of my hard drive etc etc.

any help/solution as to would be much appreciated

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. It's not a virus, since none exist that run on your Mac. Mac Virus/Malware Info
    2. Check Activity Monitor to see what's running that could be causing the beeps.
    3. Check to see if the beeps are warnings of low batteries on wireless devices
    4. Check to see if it's a notification of incoming mail messages or instant messages

3. snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for a response how do i check the activity monitor( i mean where do i even open the app for it??)? sorry i am not the best at computers so forgive my newbie-ness.

and well the beep started after yesterday which i so happen to have set up a new dsl- although i dont see who that connects as i am using the wireless connection for it.... so yea....

it is defitnately not chats or incoming msg etc etc as i dont use any of of those things

question- could it be that there is not much space left on my hard drive as well???

many thanks

4. snoo, Nov 11, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2010

snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

oh wait okay okay i found activity monitar so happen just after the laptop beeped again, what is AAM update notifier???.....

and what am i suppose to look out for on the activity monitor that could help me detect the cause or like if there is actually something wrong etc etc

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

1. Press Command+Spacebar to open a Spotlight search
    2. Type: Activity Monitor
    3. Click on the Activity Monitor item that shows at the top of the search results
    4. At the top of the Activity Monitor window, click the drop-down to select "All Processes" instead of "My Processes"
    5. Click on the Process Name column heading to sort by name.
    6. Take screenshots and post them here.
    Make sure you're using a complex WPA2 password for your wireless network.
    How much space do you have?
    QUOTE=snoo;11403341]oh wait okay okay i found activity monitar so happen just after the laptop beeped again, what is AAM update notifier???[/QUOTE]
    If you use Google to search for "AAM update notifier" (or any process), you'll find info on it:

6. snoo, Nov 11, 2010

i have 40.63 GB left on my space and now the beep has become a lil more frequent..... and irregular...... like one only had one long beep. and here is a screen capture. again thanks for helping out

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

40GB is plenty of space. You'll have to post additional screen shots as you scroll down the list, in order to get the whole list.

8. snoo, Nov 11, 2010

ohhh ok ok good good and here are two attachments

9. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The only things I see that I would question are:
    • AAM Updates Notifier
    • Ps (null)
    • Popup
    • ViiKiiDesktopPlugin
    You might try quitting each of those and see if the beeps go away.

10. snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

i have gone to the link of the AAM and i was wondering should i delete it then? would it affect any of my exsisting adobe files??? and i have no clue where the pop-up is from. viiki is okay because i have had it for just as long as i have had this computer with no problem. the ps is just photoshop and i opened it after the beeps only... so i dont think that would be cause as well. so i am thinking most likely AAM or Pop-up

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Just click on each in Activity Monitor, then click Quit Process at the top. It shouldn't hurt anything.

12. snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

many many thxs for now there is no beeping occuring so i hope it stays that way.... but if not i will just go to get it checked. thxs so much!!!

13. snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

n nope.... the beeping noises have come back.......sigh

14. moel macrumors 6502

Umm is the beeping coming out of the macs speakers..or inside the mac?

15. snoo thread starter macrumors newbie

im not entirely sure becaue the beeps come so fast before i can put my ear next to the speaker of my laptop.... but when i caught the last beep i think its from the speaker.... plus the fact tht the beeps are loud... but also my screen etc etc and all other thing remain fine its just that it beeps......

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Mute your speakers and then if you hear the beeps, you know they're not coming through the speakers.

17. sjfwhite macrumors member

sjfwhite

Hmm... over the past two days I have started hearing a strange chirp sound occasionally coming from the left side of my MBP (latest Core i5 rev). I presumed it was the sound of the Momentus XT spinning down (in spite of my actively using the computer). It appeared to start after I uninstalled hdapm. I am going to reinstall it and see if the chirp sound persists. In my case it is not through the speakers but coming from within the chassis.