Random Blemishes Appeared on Uni. MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kardashian, Feb 1, 2009.

1. Kardashian macrumors 68020

Kardashian

My MBP casing has random blemishes - literally, appeared over night.

To the right of the trackpad, there's a section of blemishing, spreading over about a 1.5" area.

It looks like a key has scratched it - except, there's no surface damage - only this mark. It can't be wiped off. I can't scratch it off gently with my finger nail. Washing up liquid won't shift it.

The computer was pristine last night, I opened it up this morning and they were there.

I live alone, and have no pets. Weird.

Should I try a magic eraser, or does anyone have any ideas? I've heard toothpaste helps?

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

Tooth paste? Magic Eraser? Naw man, Sand Paper, Olive Oil and Steel Wool! Its in the manual.

JK.

But seriously, I don't know what everyone else here uses, but I purchased the whole iKlear kit (spray, travel wipes, two cloths) a little over a year ago and have used it on two macbook pros, one cinema display and my iPhone with no adverse side effects. I wouldn't trust anything else on my machine-hard water, alcohol, nothing.

It does sound like a weird issue though. It sounds like nothing scratched it and you probably would be able to tell if something did... hrm...

3. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thing is, it's not viewable from all angles, only when you're sat directly infront of the screen, facing it. Where 99% of the time, you are sat when using a computer.

It's not bad enough to return, plus I've had it since the 13th so I'm guessing its too late to return (is it 14 days?), and this is my second replacement since half of they keyboard didn't work on the first one.

I might go as far as to 'make something up' to get it exchanged. Its an almost-£1400 machine, it shouldn't have marks.

4. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Did it have marks when you bought it? Always possible that metal snaps on a jacket sleeve rubbed on the palm rest... I found I have a couple of jackets that I never wear while typing on my MBP for that very reason.

However, my previous gen MBP is actually starting to show some marks/wear/blemishes - I doubt it's a valid exchange rationale, especially since the laptop actually works perfectly... Hmmm - oh well, I guess I had to decide between keeping it locked up in a safe and looking perfect, or actually using it...

My suggestion: stop worrying so much about the cosmetics - I can guarantee you'll see wear and marks as the months go by, and you'll only make yourself miserable fussing over it.

Gently microcloth and iKlear...just keep things clean in general, but don't obsess over it.

5. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

I don't obsess - but I do keep the things I buy in very good condition.

I use it normally, and clean it once a week.

When you're sat infront of the computer, its very noticeable.

The jacket thing also isn't valid in my case as I always wear t-shirts.

6. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Just got back from the store.

New MacBook Pro :)

There's a lot of little differences with this one.. shift key doesn't stick, trackpad better aligned.

Safe to say, its perfect. Yay :D

7. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

They gave you a MacBook Pro due to smudges on your used computer? :confused:

8. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

Well, if they gave you a new one, and you're noticing quite a difference, then I'm glad they took care of you. Enjoy your new one. :)

9. wuwwla macrumors newbie

And to see so many people on these forums rage about the price of Macs or Apple Care... What do you reckon?

10. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Not smudges, marks.

And like I've already written - yes.

They gave me a new MacBook Pro.

11. Kardashian thread starter macrumors 68020

Kardashian

Thanks, man :)

If only other people here weren't so bitter.