Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thefilmmaker91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
See the screenshot attached:

There is a file that I don't have access to.
It is located in /private/tmp area of my computer and will appear for only 2-seconds at a time before suddenly disappearing.

What is it?

Sophos, my virus detector, thought it found malware in a folder similarly named but that too disappeared!

Any thoughts??

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 8.57.36 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2011-07-14 at 8.57.36 PM.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 342

Jazojas12

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2009
It's in a temporary folder. It's a temp file. I doubt it's anything to worry over. Anything abnormal about your system?

munkery

macrumors 68020
Dec 18, 2006
Given the Symantec item in the screen shot, it appears like you are running more than one AV solution.

Delete all AV software on your machine.

If you wish to run AV software, I suggest installing ClamXav.

Read the contents of the "Mac Security Suggestion" link in my sig for more details.

LogMeIn is a legitimate remote access tool but it could be used for malicious purposes.

Did you install it?

thefilmmaker91

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 17, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That is all supposed to be there.
I'm referring to the folder with the red circle on it.

Only weird thing was today when random pixels wouldn't refresh but would freeze on something.

When I say random pixels I mean small square clumps, not just single pixels.

Tutorer

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2011
The red circle just means that you have no permission to access that folder. Either elevate your status or change permissions on the folder to access it.

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

I'm referring to the folder with the red circle on it.

Only weird thing was today when random pixels wouldn't refresh but would freeze on something.

When I say random pixels I mean small square clumps, not just single pixels.

If your screen pixelates like that it could be a bad LCD cable or even a logicboard going bad.

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Given the Symantec item in the screen shot, it appears like you are running more than one AV solution.

Delete all AV software on your machine.

If you wish to run AV software, I suggest installing ClamXav.
You're missing munkery's point. It appears you're running two antivirus apps on your Mac. You should never run more than one antivirus app on any computer, as they can conflict with each other and give false readings, as Sophos is doing, since the files in question are harmless temporary files. Also, Sophos is not recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. You don't need any antivirus software to protect your Mac from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

sporadicMotion

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2008
Your girlfriends place
See the screenshot attached:

There is a file that I don't have access to.
It is located in /private/tmp area of my computer and will appear for only 2-seconds at a time before suddenly disappearing.

What is it?

Sophos, my virus detector, thought it found malware in a folder similarly named but that too disappeared!

Any thoughts??

Remove your virus protection. You do not need it, period. This is not a Windows machine. I swear, it will be ok :D

It is NOT supposed to be there... :)

EDIT: Just saw this post... check out that link!

You're missing munkery's point. It appears you're running two antivirus apps on your Mac. You should never run more than one antivirus app on any computer, as they can conflict with each other and give false readings, as Sophos is doing, since the files in question are harmless temporary files. Also, Sophos is not recommended, as it can actually increase your Mac's vulnerability. You don't need any antivirus software to protect your Mac from malware. No viruses exist in the wild that can run on Mac OS X, and there never have been any, since it was released 10 years ago. The handful of trojans that exist can be easily avoided with some basic education, common sense and care in what software you install:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.