Random Flashes/Blinks in Late 08uMBP w/ Snow Leopard

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sukanas, Sep 1, 2009.

1. sukanas macrumors 6502a

sukanas

Every now and then, i get these random flash of black near the top of the screen. Its like a quick split second blink. I never had this problem in regular leopard... any suggestion? I'm not sure if I have a faulty GPU but I think i might too cause when I'm on battery power 9400m, the graphic performance goes down. Expose is choppier, etc..

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

3. adamk77 macrumors 6502

I started getting them around a month ago. uMBP late 2008.

I only get it when I'm on the 9400. Research says it's a common problem.

4. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hm.. common problem for snow leopard or for the 9400m hardware?

5. 7even macrumors 6502a

It's tied to the 9400M I believe. I'm receiving my laptop back later today after sending it in for that exact problem, I hope it's fixed :eek:

6. adamk77 macrumors 6502

hardware related. there's a huge thread on the apple discussion board about it. many people have sent in their laptops for repair due to the problem. apple has replaced lcd + logic board, but for many people, the problem still persists.

there was a technical post by someone who explained what may actually be going on, but i can't locate it at the moment.

7. 7even macrumors 6502a

A slight update to my previous post above:
    Received my MBP this morning, with the logic board swapped. In the last couple hours I have not seen any flashes. Prior to the repair, the flashes would happen once every few minutes.

8. jpma macrumors 6502

I got the same screen blink on the whole screen,
    more on both side left and right of the screen, specially on white background.

Only happen on snow leopard, every 5min or so.
    now revert back to leopard, no problem anymore.

blink happen on 9400.

leopard is fine.

9. sukanas thread starter macrumors 6502a

sukanas

hm... same here, its only happening on snow leopard...

could it possibly be a driver issue?
    but the people on other apple forum claimed the issue BEFORE snow leopard...

10. garyd9 macrumors member

late '08 unibody MBP... same issue. For me, happens with either video chip, on both leopard and SL. The ONLY time I didn't have the problem was last night while in an apple store at the genius bar.... until the apple employee turned his head (of course.)

They took the MBP and are sending it to their repair depot. I specially requested that the depot send the MBP back to the store (instead of my home directly) so I can unpack it in front of an employee (in case the depot or shipping damages the notebook... it is/was in perfect physical condition.)

Anyone have an idea how long it'll be before I get my MBP back? I'm having to use a windoze machine until then for everything...

11. jomama7366 macrumors member

Oh, yes, I have had this problem for months now, and I'm using Leopard. I can only shake my head that some people only started to have it when they upgraded to SL. Ridiculous, all around.

12. iLuvmyUBMBP84 macrumors newbie

i thought i was going crazy! its happening to me right now it goes away after like 5 seconds..but minutes later it comes back

13. vengeful Poet macrumors newbie

It's happening to my late '08 unibody MBP as well ever since I did a clean install of Snow Leopard. The black flashes occur very, very randomly and usually on the top half of the screen (though occasionally the whole screen will flash black).

I really hope this can be fixed. I already had to replace the screen on this laptop because of dust getting under the glass. It's a real bummer when I absolutely rely on my computer for work—wish I could swap it out for the updated model.

14. rowdt1 macrumors regular