Random flashing screen?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by xi mezmerize ix, Jun 11, 2010.

1. xi mezmerize ix macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

My screen periodically starts flashing and getting huge white lines that run down the screen when I play games (only have crysis maximum edition) but then it stops and goes back to normal. Ive noticed that it doesnt happen all the time, and not at certain moments in the game (i.e. happens at one point but doesnt happen again at that same point a different time) and it will stop if i go and look only at a wall. Is this normal or is my MBP F'd?

2. revbarabbas macrumors regular

So you are playing Crysis on MacOS? Unpossible, unless you are using Crossover or are booting into windows...in which case I would say you are experiencing a normal bug with crossover or you need to update DirectX in Windows.

EDIT: Are you using the version of Crysis that is available on the torrent websites? Because then you are a pirate and it's probably the half assed job that the wrapper is doing that is causing the lines....pay for your software!

3. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

I'm not that big of a douche. I'm running it in windows xp and it is a legit copy of the game that I bought. Dont jump to conclusions.

4. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

If you've updated all the software including drivers, I would look at the temperatures of your computer. Does it happen only when playing Crysis or does this happen in other games and/or applications?

5. revbarabbas macrumors regular

I didn't jump to a conclusion...I offered a solution first then I offered another possibility...note that I didn't call you a pirate I said if you downloaded a Wrapper version and that was the case then you are a pirate...I was trying to figure out how you were playing Crysis on a mac...whether you were using Crossover, Windows under bootcamp or you had downloaded a pirated version...BTW did you update Direct X and your drivers like I suggested?

It also depends on what version of Direct X you are using...DX9 works flawlessly according to most people on XP...DX10 however doesn't work so well on XP and if you are using DX10 specific features that might be what's causing the flickering or lines...try turning off the "bling" in the game and see if it clears up the problem...also download the newest drivers from NVidia or ATI or whatever your card is...that will help more than anything.

6. xi mezmerize ix thread starter macrumors 6502a

xi mezmerize ix

Temperatures are fine and the only games I have are Crysis, Crysis Warhead, and Crysis Wars...it only happens in crysis and crysis warhead. I run dx9. the drivers are another issue ive been having. i downloaded the driver multiple times but everytime it says that they are not compatible and cant detect the hardware. i am 100% sure ive been downloading the correct drivers too: nvidia geforce gt 330m for windows xp 32 bit...ive even tried 64 bit just in case and each time it never lets me install them. I posted a thread about that issue too.