Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mizquierdo31

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 12, 2013
Hey guys, I have the following problem and was hoping to get some insight on it.

A few months ago I installed a solid state drive into my macbook (early 2008). I installed snow leopard onto it and everything went pretty well. The SSD was installed internally while I ran my HDD from a USB cable. After a few months of successful operation I got the gray screen. I connected my computer to my TV to watch a movie. Afterwards I shut the computer and unplugged the display cable. Later I opened my computer and the screen was really dark. I could see some programs that I had up and running on the screen but it was really faint. Almost like the brightness on the screen was really really low. It wasn't getting brighter so I held down the power button and restarted. When I did, the gray screen came up and never went away. I could no longer boot from my SSD like I had been doing for months. I held down option, started the computer and my SSD didn't show up. I then booted from my HDD and checked out disk utility. My SSD wasn't in disc utility either. I took my SSD out and put it in an external enclosure and connected it via USB, still no recognition. Is my SSD shot?!? It was working well for the last few months then randomly it kicked the bucket? Any ideas? I resent the PRAM as well.

Thank you for any responses!

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hey guys, I have the following problem and was hoping to get some insight on it.

A few months ago I installed a solid state drive into my macbook (early 2008). I installed snow leopard onto it and everything went pretty well. The SSD was installed internally while I ran my HDD from a USB cable. After a few months of successful operation I got the gray screen. I connected my computer to my TV to watch a movie. Afterwards I shut the computer and unplugged the display cable. Later I opened my computer and the screen was really dark. I could see some programs that I had up and running on the screen but it was really faint. Almost like the brightness on the screen was really really low. It wasn't getting brighter so I held down the power button and restarted. When I did, the gray screen came up and never went away. I could no longer boot from my SSD like I had been doing for months. I held down option, started the computer and my SSD didn't show up. I then booted from my HDD and checked out disk utility. My SSD wasn't in disc utility either. I took my SSD out and put it in an external enclosure and connected it via USB, still no recognition. Is my SSD shot?!? It was working well for the last few months then randomly it kicked the bucket? Any ideas? I resent the PRAM as well.

Thank you for any responses!

Sounds like classic SSD controller failure! Unlike hard drives which normally give warning signs (S.M.A.R.T. Failing Status, Clicks, Loud Noise, Random Beach Balls), SSDs go out with a bang!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.