Random Installation Question

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iSpud, Jun 24, 2007.

1. iSpud macrumors member

I'm anxiously anticipating Leopard. I have a question related to installing the OS once it comes in October. Does the Archive and Install option install a clean version of the OS?

I like to keep a smooth running computer and usually do complete Erase and Install but am wondering if the Archive and Install would be an easier option for me as I have a lot of data.

2. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

It would probably be better to do an Archive and Install since that'll only replace the core system files and not your personal stuff. Just remember to back up though, in case anything happens to go wrong.

3. brandon6684 Guest

I've actually started cleaning up the scattered files on my computer so they can all be easily put on an external drive that way I can get my new(larger) hard drive at the same time as Leopard, that way I can do a clean install.

4. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

To answer your question, yes it does a clean install. It makes a DMG with all of the non-core files on your hard drive so that things are backed up.

5. janey macrumors 603

janey

no it doesn't, it dumps all of them in /Previous Systems.

6. darwen macrumors 6502a

darwen

Oops, its been a while since I did it. I thought I remembered a DMG. It does make a folder with ALL of the files though. It puts them in one place which effectivly is the same thing. Just not compressed.