Random Iphone 3G freezing, please help.

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by itsbolandbitch, Jan 6, 2010.

1. itsbolandbitch macrumors newbie

I bought a used iphone, and it started to randomly freeze, its not that bad though because to unfreeze it, all i have to do is lock it and unlock it. This problem stopped for a while, but started back again. What is causing this? What can i do to stop it? It doesnt bother me alot, but sometimes when someone is calling me i cant slide to answer or press answer because its frozen. sometimes i tap it hard and it works, or i tap the back hard. Please help me :(

2. Moi un Mouton macrumors 68000

Have you done a restore through iTunes? That's the first thing to try.

3. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

I agree, a restore is usually the best thing you can do in this case. Mine does this once in a while, and if it continues then I immediately restore it

4. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

This happened to my 3GS.

Restores did not work, a re-seating of the screen by Apple (in case it was a loose connection) did not work. In the end Apple replaced the unit with a new one.

5. itsbolandbitch thread starter macrumors newbie

The freezing is starting to get worse, no, i havent restored it. I will now though and see how it works out, but what does restoring fully do? :confused:

6. ngenerator macrumors 68000

ngenerator

A restore first downloads a fresh system software to your computer, then (in a nutshell) reinstalls the software on the iPhone to a fresh copy. I've gotten into the habit to restore as a "new" phone, instead of refreshing to a backup, as backups tend to have a lot of issues. There's really nothing to back up what I just said, but most people recommend restoring as new, when it gives you that option in iTunes.

7. Medinarem macrumors newbie

Freezing

This is happening to my 3g 8gb as well, I restored it, and it worked for about 1 or 2 days and then is back to freezing. It's just really frustrating when it happens with an incoming call. Let me know what your solutions are.

8. Storm Shadow macrumors regular

Only solution I found was to have it replaced. Luckily I was within warranty however if you bought it used then I'm not sure.

I think it is definitely a hardware fault as a complete restore through DFU mode (which wipes the slate clean) did not work and when Apple had the unit in to take the screen off and put it back on again (in case of a loose connection) they didnt find any problems however the freezing was worse than ever afterwards.

Doesnt really help you if you are out of warranty but if you can I would just get it replaced by Apple.