Random iTunes question that has been bugging me silly

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by LukeW, Nov 12, 2007.

1. LukeW macrumors member

OK, this MAY seem a little bit of an odd random question but someone with an indepth technical knowledge of how iTunes works may be able to answer it, so here it is, please help as I have a compulsive habit of needing to know an answer once the question has popped into my head and I am not going to be able to sleep otherwise! :D

Here it is - Does iTunes record everything you do in its data or does it just keep what information is required for what is currently in it?
    In case that makes no sense to anyone, if I create, say, a playlist in iTunes and drag a load of, I dunno, Manic Street Preachers or Modest Mouse into it, obviously iTunes will keep data on that as it is there in the application, but if I chose to delete that folder, or burn a copy of it, or whatever, does iTunes continue to document changes and the files presence even after the file has gone. Or if a MP4 has its name changed, does it record the change or just make the change of its exsisting record?

:confused:

If that sounds a little stupid or makes no sense, sorry, its not for anything in particular or for any real reason, it just popped into my head the other day and I can't find an answer or have the technical knowledge to find out!

2. AlphaTeam macrumors regular

AlphaTeam

I have read your question 3 times and still have no idea what the heck you are talking about.

3. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

i dont understand either. what data is iTunes suppposed (or not) to be recording. :confused:

4. ~J~ macrumors 6502

Hat trick... no clue what you are asking either.

5. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

i understand what your asking unfortunately i don't have an answer for you :)
    He's asking if itunes keeps unnecessary information such as deleting a playlists or changing the name of a song etc

6. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

perhaps you could explain for us ?

7. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

OK, here's my attempt at answers. See below.

iTunes keeps a database of information that is used to store preferences, playlists, etc. There's an XML file in your iTunes folder. Don't delete it.
    I think iTunes changes the XML file when you do stuff like creating playlists, burn CDs, etc.
    For changes in file names and tag information, I think that iTunes will change the folder/file structure. For instances, if you change an artist name from "Police" to "The Police", the folder structure will be changed. Also, if you change an album name, the folder name will be changed as well. Usually, this is seemless and you won't even notice, unless you're digging in the Finder.

Does this answer your questions?