Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
OK, so I have a late 2007 15.4" 2.4GHz Macbook Pro which as of last year is out of AppleCare.

Just before my coverage ran out, my MB crashed on me, and upon bootup introduced me to my first KP screen. I dutifully booked my Genius Bar appointment and after a few visits they deduced that it was a problem with the nVidia card and was a known issue (at first they insisted it was software related, but the issue persisted).

So anyway, AppleCare or not because it was a known issue they replaced the logic board free of charge and until now all has been A-OK.

Until today. I got the same screen again. I unplugged my external display and rebooted and it worked fine, but it's got be a little worried.

Should I just forget it happened or is this sort of thing usually a precursor to something more serious? Nothings been changed recently except for a harddrive replacement, but that was months ago.

Also as I've opened my machine up (to replace the HDD), will Apple even look at my machine if a repair is necessary somewhere down the line?:confused:

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Are you running Lion? If so, it happens.... We are waiting for a patch that will hopefully fix it.

wpotere

Oct 7, 2010
Nope, still Snow Leopard (10.6.8) :confused:

I have seen a few reports of kernel panics with 10.6.8 and I am wondering if they messed something up with that version. You are certainly not the first. On 10.6.7 I had no problems but I have yet to try .8.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I have had intermittent kernel panics ever since I upgraded to Snow Leopard. In the beginning I would experience up to three panics a day.

I began using OS X with 10.3. Until I "upgraded" to SL I had experienced exactly one kernel panic. The computer experiencing the problem is a 24" Core2Duo iMac. My 15" MBP running Leopard has never experienced a kernel panic.

I haven't been able to track down the cause. I tried a few things that seemed to improve the situation but heck if I can recall what I did... The only thing that I can remember was downgrading the driver for my Macally keyboard. That seemed to help.

The only thing that I haven't swapped-out is an older powered USB hub. I wouldn't be surprised if that was part of the problem.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.