Random Kernel Panics, but same caller address

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by oticon6, Oct 13, 2008.

1. oticon6 macrumors regular

I've had a lot of kernel panics over the last few months, and apart from a few known issues (vmware beta, AD2P driver), all the rest seem really random apart from one thing: The caller address was ALWAYS 0x001A8CD4 for OSX v9E17, and ALWAYS 0x001A8CEC for OSX v9F33

Where should I be looking? I've tried AHT and simple RAM testing utility (but from within the OS). Yesterday I tried swapping the RAM modules around and retested using the utility (since that should put any dead addresses within the testable memory range) but no luck so far... and no new KPs (yet) so I can't compare a change in address.

Where should I be looking? What is the "caller" and does this consistency imply software or hardware? How can I work out what this is? >_< Everything is impeccably stable other than this...

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Any USB hubs?

If not it may be a bluetooth device.

---

This is if you see some ....

com.apple.iokit.IOAudioFamily
    com.apple.iokit.IOUSBFamily

further down the KP page.

3. oticon6 thread starter macrumors regular

No USB hubs or anything funky connected... and it's definitely NOT a driver issue. There are no "kernel loadable modules" listed. I have had that type of kernel panic, but it's quite obvious when that happens.

Here are a few example panics for what I'm talking about:

4. oticon6 thread starter macrumors regular

I can now confirm that swapping the RAM sticks does not affect the caller address.

5. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

This does not belong in the basics! I went cross eyed trying to read that.

6. oticon6 thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, first post in this particular forum. I thought it would fall under the "and Help" part of the title :p