Random loss of all notification sounds

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by jr866gooner, Oct 30, 2013.

1. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Seems to have occurred since the 7.0.3 upgrade. I'll plug my phone in and mostly find I don't hear the connection tone just a double vibrate. If I'm lucky to get the tone you can guarantee ill unplug and lock for example and not get the lock click or any call,text or email notification at all!

What on earth could be wrong? It's not physically switched into mute mode or even DND as I've checked! I'll just randomly get notifications again sometimes after plugging it in. Like I say it's random, anyone able to shed some light on this on my iphone4?

2. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You're sure the mute switch isn't on (it will show orange if off), or that DND isn't on (will shown crescent moon next to battery indicator).

Not that I doubt you or think you're stupid - you just never know on here :cool:

If you're sure about both of those, try a hard reset (hold home and power buttons together until the phone restarts).

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Restart the phone.

4. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Yeah def sure! Even done factory reset with restore (earlier) and just done reset without restore starting again and once more the sounds are not playing and it's just vibrating when I receive a text or email.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Settings > Notification Center > Messages; is "Alert Sound" set to something? In the same place, Click Mail, then your mail account, is alert sound set to something there as well?

Then, check Settings > Sounds, and check that there is something for Text Tone as well as New Mail.

6. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Yep all set as expected, even lock sound set and that's silent!

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Mind taking a screenshot of your home screen?

Also..Have you made sure you have the volume turned all the way up using the volume buttons on the side of your phone?

And you've tried toggling the mute switch several times? I hate to keep barking up that tree but there's been so many times people have sworn they didn't have the mute switch set to mute, only to realize quite a few posts later that it was indeed switched to mute. :cool:

Just trying to help!

8. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Certainly! I'm not going to be offended lol grateful of the assistance as this is making me question my sanity at times! [​IMG]

Also volume is up enough to hear notifications etc
    [​IMG]

Also tones set as I had them before
    [​IMG]

9. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Ok some good news at the moment (but don't wish to tempt fate) all seems better at the moment so I'm leaning towards hardware issues or at least the start of them.

Full blown reset and start afresh made no difference. What I did find tho was that I would plug it in and really press the connector hard into the port and all of a sudden I got the connected "ding" I proceeded to use some force removing and the inserting the cable several times. This has since been ok(touch wood)

Could it have been an odd contact that had something on it? Is my three year old iphone 4 finally showing signs of age?

Is it even possible the device (with the contact dirty) thought it was connected to something that mutes the device? Does a docking do this? Is there even a docking mode?

Anyhow I intend on making full use if my upgrade now rather than it completely fail.. This is the longest I've waited after my upgrade date! I plan to stay with iOS and iPhone so looking at the 5c.

10. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

To add seemed better this morning but has been on vibrate only whilst unplugged... Gotta be something with charging port. Think this will have to be an upgrade job ;) there's little point in me paying insurance excess to get replacement when for little more I can upgrade!

11. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

I don't know if the dock connector has something to do with notification sounds ....
    My iPhone 5 is muted when connected to my car (via cable) since every sounds go through the car's speakers.

12. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I think that's what it is. I did actually dock it on a dab radio for the first time the other day. Maybe it has now got to the stage where three years of charging most days has taken its toll :(

13. Max(IT) Suspended

Max(IT)

If you are an heavy iPhone user (like me) I think 3 years is a long shot in its life.
    Maybe it's time to give it a rest ...

14. jr866gooner thread starter macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

Haha poor thing, I've had it 6 months maybe. Bought 2nd hand from a girl I know, she may have been the type to charge every day too! I tend to charge throughout the day at my PC rather than at home. Home is for emergency charging and weekends. Lol