Random 'Mac Server' appearing in 'Shared' pane in Finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by .adam, Jan 29, 2008.

1. .adam macrumors regular

Hi,

I'm running 10.5.1, Macbook.

Please see the attached screenshot for details of what I'm trying to explain.

For some reason, my 'Shared' pane is showing a random Mac Server (ignore the 'Lou's Mac' computer, that's my girlfriend's computer).

I'm using a wireless router, there are only two of us who know the key so it can't be anyone on my network.

Any ideas what this could be? When I click it I am greeted with "Connection Failed".

Regards,

Adam

EDIT: Solved this. It seems I had file-sharing turned on in "Shared". Please feel free to delete, mods.

Attached Files:

• SS.png
      SS.png
      File size:
      15.2 KB
      Views:
  2. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

I took part in two long threads about this. One on MacNN, the other in Apple Discussions. Nobody was able to answer me, nobody seemed to care this is a Leopard bug.

3. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

The original poster said: he had file-sharing turned on in "Shared"
    So it's your own computer you are seeing.

4. hwojtek macrumors 65816

hwojtek

I don't think you are able to see your own computer in 'Shared'. That's the point of this pane, you computer is listed under "Devices" and other computers are listed under "Shared". We have yet to see a Mac showing itself in 'Shared'.

This said, if OP turned the sharing off, he effectively cannot share files.

And now for the question: how can we actually share files AND not have other people's Macs keep popping up in 'Shared'?

5. one1 macrumors 65816

My lady's Vaio keeps showing up on my list of servers. How can I make that go away? I do not have file sharing on.