Random MBP Shutdown (on Battery)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by smartalic34, Dec 25, 2007.

1. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

As the title implies, my MBP shuts down while running on battery, but here's the catch: it is always around 30-35% remaining capacity that this occurs. I am running 10.5.1, and am using a battery about 6 months old (got it thru the MBP battery exchange program). I have attempted to re-calibrate the battery, but it never makes it below 31%.

Any ideas? SMC reset didn't help...

2. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

Is this a system crash of sorts or is this just a random shutdown? I think usually the computers shut down after the battery gets below 10 minutes, but perhaps it's a certain percent. You might want to download coconutbattery and check your battery health.

3. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

the computer should be going to sleep, not shutting down. It is a random shutdown though, not a crash. My battery's health is 4390 mAh, whereas original capacity is 5500 mAh, so health is only 79%. even so, the LED lights are indicating there's charge left (and the indicator shows 31%).

what's going on?

4. kajitox macrumors 6502a

kajitox

This is interesting; is the problem consistently happening when the battery is at a certain percent? If so, have you tried replicating the problem with someone else's battery? That might limit possible problems down.

5. Verschoren macrumors regular

Verschoren

try restarting your Mac and do a P-Ram zap.

My mom had the same problem, and after doing a PRam, the battery didn't show up as 25% full (in her case), but would appear as 0%

6. Pili macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; PalmSource/Palm-D052; Blazer/4.5) 16;320x320)

My dad's mbp is having the same problem but it sometimes completely shuts down within minutes of booting. I'm going to try and reset the pmu? when I get back home and see if that helps. Battery health is fine and its a 2.33ghz model.

7. smartalic34 thread starter macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

I zapped the PRAM... and the MBP shut down when the battery was at 58%... so it has happened once at 31%, once at 35%, and now at 58%. My sister's MBP is currently getting a logic board replacement, so when it is shipped back, I'll test things with her battery and see if things change.

I wonder what could be causing this?

8. kjryan macrumors newbie

I'm having the same problem on my 2.16 CD MBP, and it just started a few days go- the battery gets somewhere between 30-50% and it just shuts down without a warning. I've tried zapping the PRam without any results.

I saw two other people on the Apple discussion forums having the same problem, both within a few days ago too. Could this be from a recent update maybe?

I might head over to the :apple: store soon to check things out.