Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbtroj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
This could quite possibly be the most annoying issue I've ever run into in my 30+ years of using computers, but then again I annoy easily and have a very short memory ;-p

I'm on OSX 10.8.3 and it is suddenly deciding to capitalize letters randomly in contractions. For instance, I'm trying to type the contraction for "I will" and it is coming up "I'Ll" every time. If I type the contraction for "did not" it comes up "didn'T". So, either OSX is confusing the apostrophe's function or maybe autocomplete/correct is on the fritz?

Tried rebooting, typing in different apps, using the MBP keyboard instead of the usb keyboard.

Just all of a sudden a problem. The other thing that may or may not be related (I hate red herrings) is that the USB keyboard has suddenly stopped waking when the computer wakes - I have to disconnect and reconnect it to the Thunderbolt display. I've read elsewhere that other people are experiencing this same problem with MBP's, Thunderbolt displays and usb keyboards. Again, may not be related to the problem of contractions being oddly capitalized, but who knows.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I haven't experience this issue but I did find this just now that appears to involve the issue you're seeing (has to do with Outlook 2011 though, which I don't know if you have or not):

The fix (though it’s not really a fix…more of a workaround) is to get into your Outlook Preferences, click the AutoCorrect icon, and uncheck the option for “Capitalize first letter of sentences.” At least, that’s what worked for me. I’ve read other people who had to uncheck “Correct TWo INitial CApitals.” So, you may have to see which one solves the problem for you.
Source: http://fatwalr.us/2012/08/autocorrect-bug-fix-in-outlook-2011-for-mac-in-osx-mountain-lion/

rbtroj

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 2, 2013
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.