Random OSX crashes

Discussion in 'macOS' started by fstyers, Jan 7, 2011.

1. fstyers macrumors newbie

Hey guys,

I have a 2008 iMac running OSX 10.6.5, 2.66Ghz Intel, 2 gig ram. I'm getting random blue screen crashes at least weekly. I don't have any hardware connected except an iomega external hd for Time Machine (and of course a keyboard and mouse). I'm never doing anything exceptional when it crashes. Usually just internet browsing (Chrome) or word processing (NeoOffice). The screen just suddenly goes gray/blue and I have to force it to shut down with the power switch.

I upgraded to Snow Leopard at the same time I installed Windows 7 (Boot Camp) and purchased the external hd. The problems started around that time. I have since wiped the disk and reinstalled both OSs, but am still facing the same problem.

Twice in the last few months I've run Disk Utility and found I needed to repair the disk with my Snow Leopard CD. However, after each of those the fix appears to be good and in subsequent scans everything comes up fine despite continued crashes. I've also run Applejack a couple times, but it hasn't helped. Is this a sign of impending hardware issues? I'm at a loss. I've tried reading the Console Messages for a hint, but I can't decipher anything. Any insight would be very very appreciated.

2. Matthew Yohe macrumors 68020

3. fstyers thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for turning me on to this thread. I missed it somehow, but I think I'm experiencing something similar to the rest of that crowd.