Random play not so random?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Eric S., Dec 20, 2009.

1. Eric S. macrumors 68040

Eric S.

There used to be an iTunes option to adjust the degree of "randomness" in shuffle mode, by setting a probability that the next song would be by the same artist as the previous one. But now I can't seem to find that in iTunes (8.2.1). Is it still there somewhere and I'm just missing it?

The reason I'm wondering is that I was playing a playlist in shuffle mode and I got 3 or 4 songs in a row by the same artist before it switched to another artist. That's the first time I've ever seen that and I don't know what prompted it. Not that the effect was bad, but it was unexpected.

2. StruckANerve macrumors 6502

I am interested in this also. Mine repeats artists every so often and I would like to make it as random as possible. I almost exclusively listen to my iPod on shuffle lately so this would be great if I could fix this.

3. Eric S. thread starter macrumors 68040

Eric S.

The weird thing is that I used to try to enable this non-random behavior through the iTunes option (which I can no longer find), but I was never able to get it to work. Then I wondered if it only affected playback on the computer and not on the iPod. But now the behavior shows up out of the blue, and I haven't updated iTunes for a while (still running 8.2.1). Maybe I just never noticed it but that's hard to believe since I've listened to playlists in shuffle mode many times.