Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spikey115

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
Is there any way to create a random playlist of a specific size in iTunes? What I want to do is have iTunes pick a random selection from my library and make it fit into my 4GB iPod Nano. Is there anything similar to "autofill" for the nano?

Thanks.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
Not to sure of an easy way, but one way would be to go into "Party Shuffle" and select just shy of 4 gigs worth of music each time, and drag it into a playlist. it'll be random, but maybe a bit of a hassle.

Spikey115

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 21, 2006
runplaysleeprun said:
Not to sure of an easy way, but one way would be to go into "Party Shuffle" and select just shy of 4 gigs worth of music each time, and drag it into a playlist. it'll be random, but maybe a bit of a hassle.

How do I make the list bigger than 100 songs? I don't see any option bigger than 100.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
It may take you a few times of setting it to 100, back to 0, then 100. Like i said, not the easiest route, but it'll get the job done.....eventually.

spicyapple

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
Create a smart playlist.

Uncheck "Match the following rule:"
Check "Limit to 4 GB" selected by "random".

:)

If in the event you want to randomize the smart playlist, just select all the songs in the playlist and press delete. iTunes will re-populate the list with another set of random songs.

runplaysleeprun

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2004
Chicago, IL
spicyapple said:
Create a smart playlist.

Uncheck "Match the following rule:"
Check "Limit to 4 GB" selected by "random".

:)

If in the event you want to randomize the smart playlist, just select all the songs in the playlist and press delete. iTunes will re-populate the list with another set of random songs.
yeah, much easier

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.