Random pop/tick noise coming from new rMBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard13, Dec 29, 2013.

1. richard13 macrumors 6502a

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with my new rMBP but one thing that I do notice is that occasionally I'm hearing what sounds like a "pop" or "tick" noise, even if it is just sitting there on my desk. It's not loud but it's obviously noticeable.

With no moving parts other than the fans (this is not a fan noise) I'm wondering what this could be. I'm thinking it might be from expansion/contraction or warping from the case. I guess I'm not overly concerned but it is odd since my previous MBPs didn't do this.

Anyone else notice this?

2. jondunford macrumors 6502

jondunford

it means you are using the wrong type of charger

3. ctrl-click macrumors newbie

Although it could well be the charger which is a serious problem there is another theory which I discovered a while ago when using Parallels and running windows 7, the sound output set up was wrong so a Windows 7 sound would come through as a pop or a series of pops.

4. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Well, here's the thing. It makes this noise when it's unplugged so I don't think it's the charger. The sound is pretty soft. At first I just thought it was how the computer was sitting on my bed (on a comforter) but then it made the noise on my desk so I know it's not that. I haven't heard it when the computer is sleeping/off but that may be a coincidence.

Yes, I have this problem in Parallels too but that pop sound is way louder. The sound I'm talking about happens outside of Parallels/Windows.

5. Shmanky macrumors regular

Sounds like something I experienced in my 2010 MacBook Pro. Are you sure the sound isn't coming from the fans at the back?

6. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I suppose it could be coming from anywhere. However, I notice that I can make the same/similar sound by moving my MBP around so it would seem this has something to do with the case.

Geez.. yellow tinged screen on my new iMac and annoying tick noise on my new MBP. Things I guess aren't the end of the world but annoying and I wish didn't exist nonetheless.

7. Shmanky macrumors regular

8. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

9. Shmanky macrumors regular

I brought in the machine twice to get the creaking fixed and the creaking was only reduced, not eliminated. So I bought a pentalobe screwdriver to go in there myself and removing the case and replacing it helped to further reduce the creaking in particular by leaving some of the screws out but in the process I stripped some of the screws and the cover could no longer be removed until I brought it in to the Genius Bar and they removed the stripped screws for me and replaced the screws and that helped further reduce the creaking. But now I'm on a replacement machine and this one also creaks but very rarely. I think all the machines creak but they differ in how much they creak.

So your options are: take it in to the Genius Bar and have them reduce the creaking but not eliminate it; buy a pentalobe screwdriver and loosen the screws at the risk of stripping the screws; return or exchange the machine if you can.

10. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for your reply.

Yea, I had a feeling this wasn't going to be an easy fix. The screen and everything else seems fine so I'd be leery of exchanging in hopes of having one that is creak free.

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed. You would think I'd be elated to have two new computers in my home but i'm not due to obscure defects that I've never seen in Apple computers before. Considering the whole mess I went through with my iPhone 5 last year I'm really hoping this is just a spate of bad luck for me and for Apple and not the shape of things to come.

I'm going to spend the next few days using my computers and considering my options from keeping them and ignoring the issues (likely) all the way to returning both and washing my hands of Apple (unlikely).

11. richard13 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So this is seeming more and more like something going on inside the case. And likely either an expansion/contraction issue or a power issue as the loudest pops/clicks are coming from the left speaker/power plug area. I also noticed that the noise occurs even with the MBP on a completely flat, level surface, untouched and even when shutdown (when plugged in, don't know about unplugged just yet).

At this point I'm concerned that there might be something wrong here and considering exchanging it (have until January 7th). Would you guys just exchange it or try to get the Genius Bar to take a look? The only reason I ask is because I'm concerned I'll get another machine with even worse problems.

12. jpeezy macrumors regular

Not sure if this is the same issue i've experienced but... My clutch cover will make a subtle pop/snapping sound when the computer gets hot and starts to cool down.

13. Shmanky macrumors regular

If you got a good screen I would keep it. If it's making the sound without touching it then it's probably not the same problem I linked to. I experienced a popping sound on my 2010 MacBook Pro that I think came from the fans but it didn't happen when the machine was powered off.

I change my mind; you should probably exchange it. It's not a certainty that Apple will fix the problem. They didn't fix my creaking problem. And they won't fix a yellow-tinted display. So you can't rely on Apple to correcting problems with a unit. Exchange it until you get one that doesn't have a yellow display or image retention or muras or stuck pixels or exploding pixels or creaking cases or green gradients or pink gradients or your popping problem. It's rare to get a machine that isn't defective in some way.

14. stuff99 macrumors 6502

How can you tell if you got a good screen or not?