Random Popping Noise? Please Help

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Saluki Alex, Jul 2, 2008.

1. Saluki Alex macrumors 6502

I just received my new MacBook Pro (2.4GHz) to replace my older CD Macbook Pro from 2006 which was suffering fan problems.

My new MBP is great and faster, with the exception of a really annoying "popping" sound that is coming from the left hand side of the laptop. It's sporadic and might happen every few minutes, or every 30 sec. or varying lengths of time in-between "pops."

I searched the forum hear and didn't come up with virtually anything at all, but the Apple Support Discussions had several threads on the topic, most pointing to the Hard Drive and the sound possibly coming from the heads parking on the disk.

Could anyone offer any advice on the subject? I just got this brand new MBP from AppleCare and really don't want to have to go through all the work on getting another replacement if this sound is normal.

2. lordthistle macrumors 6502

Yeah, that sound is another easter egg in the current MBP. The MBP is an unbelievable machine: every day we notice new hidden features.

thistle

3. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

The main question was, should I be concerned about it, or should I just get used to the sound and chock it up to a trivial quirk?

4. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

Hello there! Ihave also just got one of the new MBP's 2.4 standard base model...
    well actually i ended up having to have two...

the first one had the vertical striping issue with the screen lights and wouldn't accept discs properly so i took it back and got another one.

Both of them have a sound coming from the left hand side, would you say that it could also be described as almost like a bubbling sound?

I too would like to know if this is anything to worry about, thanks.

5. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

Referring to the noise as a "bubbling" sound is spot on. It happens sporadically, sometimes more often, sometimes less.

As I stated in previous posts, the discussion on the support section of the Apple website seems to exhibit other users experiencing it, and they have come to the conclusion that it's hard-drive related. They have even found a work-around for it, but I didn't want to mess with something like that.

So long as someone can confirm that it's normal and not a warning sign for problems down the road, I'm going to just deal with it.

6. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

7. Lordillingworth macrumors regular

I have just discovered that if i press down on the case over where the sound is it goes away! This is very strange and it hardly requires any sort of pressure at all to make it disappear! lets see what happens with this!

8. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

I might try that pressure trick when I get back from work, I suppose the only issue with that is based on the noise being sporadic.

With regard to that other forum a poster linked above, of what I have read, it seems to pertain more to other sound issues, not primarily the popping or bubble noise that Lordillingworth and I are experiencing.

9. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

I dunno , sounds pretty similar to me , only trying to help an all .

PS it wasn't "another forum" btw it was a thread within MacRumors itself

Wish you luck with your issue

best

~marbles

10. Saluki Alex thread starter macrumors 6502

Whoops, didn't mean to say "forum." While I know some of the issues in that thread are related, it didn't seem as though they were primarily related to it. Thanks though.

11. marbles macrumors 68000

marbles

12. airasiv macrumors newbie

It Is Skype!

I finally figured it out. The sound is "someone in your contact list is online" in Skype.

<Applause>

13. jaredelguay macrumors newbie

jaredelguay

Mine was making a popping/buzzing sound in the left corner as well. I just dropped it off to be checked out. It was usually pretty faint but with mine, it sounded like an electrical current buzz. Not a sound I want to hear my computer making.

14. sb88 macrumors newbie

i have a similar noise, almost like the crinkling of a plastic candy wrapper? I have an appt on saturday to go to a genius, since I am home from school and there is no apple store by my college, but I can't seem to recreate the sound....hmm...

15. bigdb11 macrumors regular

Any update?