random pops from my new 17" unibody macbook pro speakers

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 212rikanmofo, Mar 19, 2009.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

When my computer has been silent for awhile and a sound starts playing thru the speaker, I get this audible pop sound randomly from time to time. Does anyone know what the problem is? Not sure if I should return my mbp or wait to see if it's fixable thru a firmware update? Sigh, this is a BTO mbp too and I can't afford to be without it since I use it for work. I just got this thing not too long ago. Sigh! Everything was perfect until I start hearing these random popping noises thru my speakers.

2. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

Man I'm definitely staying away from the 17" mbps. Seems like most of them have issues, whether it be the speakers popping issue, the graphics distortion issues with green lines and such or dots or the backlight flickering when its set on 1-3 brightness level.

I really wanted one but Apple's QA has gone to s*its. I remember when you wanted the near perfect laptop it was always the 17" mbp/powerbook.. but not so much these days...

3. brave5213 macrumors regular

same problem here... i am not sure to send it back, because this one is my second :mad:

4. BlueJayLouchE macrumors member

BlueJayLouchE

Does this happen in "better performance" mode too?

Maybe OSX is cutting power to the internal soundcard after x mins of silence.
    When I turn on the old desktop PC I'm using as a multimedia centre the speakers pop. Probably only noticeable because I have the amp cranked right up and control the volume from inside Windows.

This is also common on older amplifiers. I can't remember the term they use for it.

5. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Nope, happens on my 15" too on both the 9400M and 9600M GT. It cracks and pops randomly and I can't really reproduce the cracking and popping and it's very annoying when watching a movie. People having bad luck on the 17", I'm having bad luck with mine, currently on 3rd, waiting to go in and exchange it for a 4th.

6. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

LMAO. I guess we could give that a try, but again, another Apple product that makes you go out and install a 3rd party application to stop something that shouldn't even be there (unless the previous 2 MBP's I had - was a fluke that the popping/cracking was not there..) Still, just going to get an exchange not going to bother with a program to fix it.

7. brave5213 macrumors regular

you are %100 right, but i don't want to try my chance again. this one is my second 17" , everything is fine except this annoying pop noise.

8. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, know the feeling. This was the "perfect" MBP compared to the other 2 I had and then the popping/cracking comes. I have a feeling the next one, I'm going to have LCD or keyboard problems, I mean why not right? Had everything else from unibody being dented, screwed up GPU and now speakers, only think left is the logic board, LCD and keyboard!

9. brave5213 macrumors regular

you changed my mind and i noticed "screen flickering" on 9400M:mad:, i call tomorrow for an exchange. let see what will happen again :(
    wait wait wait for perfect mbp...

10. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

imon my second for receiving the first one with dust behind the screen , fingerprints behind the glass, scratches on the top case.

the second one had larger dust particles and a blemish that looks like some sort of metal scraped it.

im not wanting to even take the 3rd chance..i have been using a 15UMB in the the meantime and i throw that in a bag and go and the gf uses it too and not a single scratch when to be honest its been alittle handled.

i hope i dont et graphical/sound issue,s but nothing seems to be out of the question of late.

ugh.

11. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

I know Apple has awesome customer support but I seriously wouldn't put it past them if they were giving me previous returns as an exchange. I've only started to think when I got my 3rd, the restore discs weren't even in the black booklet, they were under the MacBook Pro and the MagSafe adaptor looks like it was used because it was a little black not the white/bluish/grayish color it's suppose to be. My patience with Apple is growing very thin right now. I'm going for the 4th and it will be the last one, if there's a defect of some sort, it's going back and I'm waiting for a Rev. B or jumping ship altogether.

12. brave5213 macrumors regular

i just called apple and i am going for 3rd machine within 2 weeks:(

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

You still have to beat my record of 4 in 2 weeks ;)

Just came back with an exchange, so far everything seems to be ok. No dents, LCD is looking good, nothing funky going on with trackpad, keyboard/backlight working ok, SuperDrive sounding normal. So overall, I'm quite happy, too bad it took 4 MacBook Pro's.

14. djvic87 macrumors regular

Same here guys. It happens to my 15 inch UMBP too. it happens on my right side speaker but at random times. I started noticing it after the first day I purchased the mac. I left it alone because It is not too noticeable; unless you are in a very very quiet room

15. brave5213 macrumors regular

please check 9600 gt , via watching a couple of hd movie trailers..:)

16. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, I already commented in that thread and also checked it with the new one. All those trailers play fine except for that one - as was expected. That's the only problem I have with the 9600M GT so I think it's more of an firmware/driver issue since everyone is experiencing the same thing and I don't run into any other problems using the 9600.

17. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

sigh not only do i get those random pops in my speakers but now I notice flickering in my screen. I have my brightness at 4 levels out of 16... sigh! arghh I really hope this can be fixed thru software. Arghh!!!

18. jjahshik32 macrumors 603

If your still within the 14 days go get it exchanged. I highly doubt there is a software fix for the flickering as the 15" unibody mbp has been plagued with this issue for the past 4 1/2 months and counting.

19. brave5213 macrumors regular

20. Minimoose 360 macrumors 65816

Minimoose 360

21. 212rikanmofo thread starter macrumors 65816

screen flickering issue is fixed after the update that apple posted today! i am happy! now to fix this popping noise in my speakers! hope apple addresses a fix for that as well!