Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
My late-2013 15" rMBP (2.6Ghz/512MB/16GB) was 99% perfect.

Great display, no issues with it from a functional point of view--just a bit of Mavericks-related flakiness here and there. But it had one physical "quirk" that was beginning to drive me completely insane.

It seems that whenever the computer would heat up a bit, the aluminum chassis would flex or warp very slightly, resulting in the trackpad feeling just slightly loose and making a subtle "ticking" sound every time I touched it. It was like this from day one.

This was the kind of thing most people wouldn't notice, but given that I use my computer in a very quiet studio a lot of the time, it eventually got to the point where that ticking sound felt like the loudest noise in the room, and I found myself trying to alter my hand position or touch the trackpad in a particular way so as to avoid hearing it.

That was no fun.

Keeping my expectations low--albeit with the tacit understanding that I was entitled to be taken seriously after dropping ~$2500 on a computer--I took it to my local Apple store (Oakridge Centre, Vancouver, for the record).

The friendly Genius was frank, telling me that the only cure--replacing the entire bottom chassis assembly (including battery + trackpad)--was a bit extreme for a problem that didn't affect the computer's functionality. "But that said, we take fit and finish pretty seriously here," he added.

24 hours later, my rMBP is now 100% perfect--in addition to having a brand new battery, trackpad, and bottom chassis.

Long story short, I may not agree with everything they do, but so long as Apple can maintain that level of customer support, I'll be sticking around. ;)

severage

macrumors regular
Oct 13, 2013
Fully agree. My late 2013 rMPR 13" was perfect except for a slight issue where the fan would sometimes make a faint "tick" sound when it was turning off.

I have no Apple retail store near me, but I sent in the computer, and within 3 days I believe, I had my computer back with me with a new fan.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
Yes. Of course I'm ignoring the fact that, due to some very questionable engineering choices, they actually had to replace the chassis, trackpad, battery (and keyboard too!) in order to merely fix an issue I was having with the trackpad and/or chassis...

Suffice to say, with even trivial repairs requiring such wholesale replacements in these models, the AppleCare really sells itself. (The replacement chassis + "glued in components" was listed at $499.99 on my service bill.)

cambookpro

macrumors 604
Feb 3, 2010
United Kingdom
I'm glad you got the issue sorted, but it makes me a bit sad that there is still this 'ticking' issue when lightly touching the trackpad.

My 2008 MBP did it, and my 2011 MBP has just started doing it. It's not a major problem but it's an annoyance, especially when 6 years down the line they obviously haven't fixed the underlying issue.

johnnylarue

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 20, 2013
I'm glad you got the issue sorted, but it makes me a bit sad that there is still this 'ticking' issue when lightly touching the trackpad.

My 2008 MBP did it, and my 2011 MBP has just started doing it. It's not a major problem but it's an annoyance, especially when 6 years down the line they obviously haven't fixed the underlying issue.

I think so long as the all-in-one trackpad/button design persists, so will the loosening/ticking issue, due simply to the limitations of the physical components involved.

The only two proper solutions I can think of would involve reverting to the old designated trackpad button design (highly unlikely), or finally releasing a trackpad with that (slightly creepy) haptic feedback thing we've been hearing about these past few years.

In the meantime, I'm hoping that using "tap to click" (which I prefer anyway) will keep my machine from developing this annoying problem again.

thesimplelogic

macrumors regular
Jun 27, 2014
The Macbook in my signature had various things which didn't hinder the use of the computer, but did annoy me, similar to you.
- Trackpad was very sticky
- Bottom case warped
- Screen had cracks in the hinges
- Top case had crack where Ethernet port is.

Took it to the Genius Bar, had this all replaced for free under warranty.
I got it back and basically felt like it was a new computer, as basically the entire shell was replaced along with the screen. The only bits that were of the last computer was the internals.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.