Random question about speaker systems....is it possible for wireless?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by adamvk, Mar 22, 2009.

1. adamvk macrumors 65816

adamvk

Is there some kind of way I can make the way my spears plug into my Mac wireless? I would like to eliminate basically all of my wires on my Macbook pro so I can move it around wirelessly. Is there like something I can plug the cord into that sends a wireless signal to a wireless adapter that plugs into the audio port on my Mac, or something crazy like that?

Thanks.

edit: I attached a photo of what I'm looking for.

Attached Files:

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

The problem with that is that I question the quality of sound quality. I would really like to make my current speaker system wireless if possible

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

If you look at the wireless category on that link, you may find some wireless adapters there that may be what you are looking for. Can't comment on any quality, I haven't used any.

5. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Well I haven't found anything yet :(

6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Would it not be more straightforward to get something like an Airport Express for this purpose? The Express joins your network, you stream audio to it over Wifi (digitally), and then you plug your speakers / receiver / w/e into it.

And then you'll probably want this also: http://rogueamoeba.com/airfoil/

7. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

The problem is I want NO wires going to my Mac. What would the Airport do that I would have need for?

8. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

What about this?

EDIT: Seeing that you want no wires from your Mac, the only realistic option might be BT, which will cause quality to suffer. Unless you can set up the Airport/Airfoil/Airtunes config mentioned above.

9. brentsg macrumors 68030

And where exactly would these wires be (going to the mac) if you used Airport Express?

10. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya, I re-read the information about the Airport Express, that looks exactly what I'm looking for, thanks.

Also thanks for the link, but the Airport Express looks more like what I'm looking for.

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I didn't understand your previous question at all, so I guess I'm glad you sorted it out by yourself. :D You would need the Airfoil program I linked to be able to stream any audio you want from any app to the Express, but otherwise, it should be perfect. Depending on your setup, you may even be able to use it to WDS (extend the coverage of your router), but at minimum, it can join the network and do the streaming for you.

12. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

I have an Airport Express, it's great. i can listen to my music from bed and i've created a secure sub-network for my own computers with it ;)

I kind of wish i had a decent printer. I don't feel I'm using my AE's full capacity just using it for music and networking though.

13. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok sweet, I'm gonna add the Airport Express to my list of things to buy soon. :)

I saw it works with iPod Touch as well. So I could play my music using my computer speakers, right?

edit: Is there any evidence that points to the Time Capsule getting this feature soon? That would be great if they did because then I wouldn't need a separate External.

2nd edit: I was checking eBay, and there seems to be a lot of them for fairly cheap. ($60) Do all of them support AirTunes, or are the older ones that may not?

14. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

One more question....

Can I play all audio from my Mac using Airport Express or only iTunes? It would be nice for iMovie sounds, game sounds, etc to be wireless too, otherwise it would eliminate the purpose of it for me.

15. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

This is where you have to read the responses to your thread instead of just responding first without reading them. ;) As I've stated several times before, the Airport Express software supplied by Apple does not allow you to stream anything you want (just iTunes), but the Airfoil software allows Macs and Windows PCs to stream any and all audio to the Airport Express, as well as do a variety of other fun things. :)

In other words, to do what you want, the Airport Express is insufficient, but the Airport Express and Airfoil together do exactly what you want.

16. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

There IS an application that can do this, Airfoil but i'm afraid i've never gotten very good performance with it, as it takes a few seconds for the audio to be processed it's out of sync with movies and games.

17. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ya sorry. I DID read your posts earlier and I went to the site you provided, but I couldn't find my answers, but hey, thats what this forum is for. :)

How much of a delay is there, and can anyone verify this?

18. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Apparently nobody knows ... Don't bump threads.

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apparently it might actually be an issue for things like games:

http://rogueamoeba.com/support/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=45&nav=0,2

Meaning that if you need to play games with it or watch video from a dedicated player (if you can play it in their player, they can compensate for this), you might be at a dead end again.

I think you're going to end up with this issue with pretty much any digital solution... I dunno, sorry.

20. adamvk thread starter macrumors 65816

adamvk

Ok Thanks.

I guess I'll just deal with my wires :(

I was very excited about the Airport Express, but I guess that's not gonna work, so O well.