Random question: Style advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by h1r0ll3r, Jun 5, 2015.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

So I'm wondering your opinion on ties/suits for men.

Used to be pretty fat. Lost some weight (~80 pounds or so). Previous suits were bought off the clearance rack, standard regular fit suits and tailored (not well) accordingly to fit. Now, bit skinnier and those suits are going to be donated as they don't fit me any more. Bought a new suit that's an extra slim fit suit. Just got the jacket tailored and looks pretty good on me ;)

Question now is, should I continue using my normal ties with it or should I get one of those slim/skinny ties? Despite losing all the weight, I'm still kind of big. 6'3, around 220 with broad shoulders. Definitely don't have a wiry/lanky figure. I figure since the ultra slim fit suit is a lot more close fitting and narrower, the skinny/slim tie should go nicely with it, right? I don't think the slim ties look good on me but just wanted to get some opinions from those that are probably a bit more fashion conscience than I am.

I tried on my normal ties and I think they look pretty good however, style-wise, not sure if this is fashion faux pas or not. Mainly using the suit for interviews and special occasions. Suit looks good on me so just want to make sure it's on point whenever I do wear it.

Also, thoughts on vests for suits? The suit I bought has a matching vest but not sure if that too was a bit over the top for interviews and such or if it was a nice touch to complete the suit.

Thanks.

2. Kaylor macrumors regular

Kaylor

I won't comment on your fashion choices as I don't pay attention to fashion at all (plus I'm female), but congrats on the weight loss! Quite impressive :)

3. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Tie widths go in and out of fashion. I'm personally not a fan of the skinnier-skinniest ties. If you're body is too broad it's strange, if your body is too skinny, it's makes you look too skinny.

One rule of thumb is matching the tie width to the widest part of the lapel on your jacket.

I'd suggest a standard/medium width tie. I'm not sure what the event is you're going to, but generally I associate with skinny ties with a more casual, urban dress. For something very formal, I'd shy away from the skinny. That said, if you like the skinny, go with what you're comfortable wi(d)th (yes, bad joke). If your think you'll be self conscious about it the entire time, you might want to go with something more traditional.

Congrats on the weight loss.

4. JamesMike macrumors demi-god

JamesMike

5. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Exactly.

As long as the tie is proportionate to 1) the cut of the suit, - and A. Goldberg's rule of thumb is a useful one, in this context; and 2) your own build, you should be fine.

The trick with ties is that you don't want them to be noticeable, other than in an understated way, where people juts notice that it fits in nicely with whatever you are wearing.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Good point, you may want to change your knot depending on the tie width/occasion.

For a skinnier tie the four-in-hand or half windsor would be a better choice. With a more conventional tie, you could do the windsor or half windsor. If you're going for a more formal event and you're going with a more standard tie, do the Windsor. The half windsor is a little more informal.

You could also always go with a bow-tie and skip the tie issue all together. I used to occasionally sport a bow tie, but they've become a little too hipster these days.