Random Question: What computer is better my iphone 6S+ or Mac Mini from 2007?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by AVEGA, Mar 10, 2016.

1. AVEGA macrumors regular

AVEGA

I know this thought is totally random and not really fair to compare a mobile phone to desktop computer but since my mac is older and my phone is currently the newest iphone I wonder how they compare.

Let me give you a few more details:

Mac Mini (2007)
    • Processor 1.83GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    • L2 cache 2MB shared
    • System bus 667MHz
    • Memory 4 GiGs RAM (upgraded)
    • Hard drive: 320 GIG (upgraded)
    • Graphics Intel GMA 950 graphics processor with 64MB of DDR2 SDRAM shared with main memory
    • Ports One FireWire 400 port (8 watts); four USB 2.0 ports (up to 480 Mbps); DVI output; VGA output (using included adapter); S-video and composite video output4
    • Wireless Built-in AirPort Extreme Wi-Fi (802.11g)3; built-in Bluetooth 2.0+EDR (Enhanced Data Rate) module
    • Networking Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T (Gigabit)
    • Audio Built-in speakers, combined optical digital audio input/audio line in, combined optical digital audio output/headphone out
    • Operating System Lion
    • Display Acer 23 inch 1080 monitor
    iPhone 6S+

• Processor
      A9 chip with 64-bit architecture, Embedded M9 motion coprocessor Dual-core 1.84 GHz Twister
    • L2 cache ???
    • System bus ???
    • Memory 2 GIG
    • Hard drive: 64 GIG
    • Graphics ???
    • Ports apple lighting and 3.5 mm audio jack
    • Wireless Wi-Fi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, dual-band, hotspot ,
      v4.2, A2DP, LE

• Networking Built-in
      802.11a/b/g/n/ac Wi‑Fi with MIMO
      Bluetooth 4.2 wireless technology
      NFC
    • Audio Digital audio output/headphone out
    • Operating System ios 9.2.1
    • Display
      Retina HD display with 3D Touch

5.5-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit widescreen

1920-by-1080-pixel resolution at 401 ppi

1300:1 contrast ratio (typical)
    I'm not a super tech guy so I can't compare the nitty gritty but I can tell you that my iphone runs so much smoother in day to day stuff than my mini so is a champ but is chugging along now. Anyone knows for sure how they would compare in benchmarks and user experience at a more advanced technical level ? I know this is totally unfair but I think it might be a fun experience to compare a almost 10 year old desk top apple computer with a mobile phone released less than a year ago (March 2016) .

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

3. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Totally unfair because it depends on what you want to do with it. "Content creation" such as writing, drawing, photo or video editing, music creation, will be much easier and faster on the old Mac mini. If you are doing web browsing to sites that are mobile device aware, the iPhone will be better. And there are plenty of things only one will do -- phone calls, snapshots, GPS, mobility on the iPhone and programming, flash, ability to connect external disk drives on the Mac.

You can speed up that Mac mini by replacing the hard drive with an SSD.

4. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

5. AVEGA thread starter macrumors regular

AVEGA

Tell me more . When I upgraded the hard drive I got the fastest biggest capacity I could find . I have an external 1TB hard drive and I tried to use it like hard drive and it worked well until it fried , so I don't want to do that again since that holds my back ups .

6. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

I bought one from Other World Computing, not the least expensive but they guarantee it will work in your Mac. Here's a direct link of all drives for your model http://eshop.macsales.com/MyOWC/Upgrades.cfm?&model=276&type=InternalDrives&sort=pop&cat=2999
    I put a 120GB SSD in a 2009 mini that I used at work until I retired in January. It ran faster than the work provided Windows machine -- an HP workstation with a Xeon processor (about 2012 vintage) but with HDDs.

7. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

It's kind of comparing apples and oranges. You can do different things for each device. The Mac Mini would certainly be better for certain applications versus the iPhone.

In terms of engineering, the iPhone is clearly a much greater achievement. The Mac Mini is small, but an iPhone is a fraction of the size and packs a lot more features.