Random Questions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Mantasis, Mar 24, 2011.

1. Mantasis macrumors member

Was doing some googling and couldn't find answers to a couple of questions i had about OSX. I always wondered about some of this:

- How does the "maximize" button for windows work (the + symbol)? It seems to be completely random at times how osx decides to resize windows... Is there a way to ensure I never get crazy small windows? (Before Cinch this used to annoy me quite a bit)

- I find that sometimes when I'm casually going through my windows and moving/closing them, that becoming overly clicky will result in the x button becoming unresponsive. To solve this I have to click out of the window and then try to close it again.

- While fiddling around, I discovered, to my dismay, that I can't Cmd+shift+arrow key to select a bunch of files in finder. I remember being able to do this...am I just imagining it or did something go wrong with my mac?

If anyone has some answers it would be much appreciated.

2. Apple OC macrumors 68040

Apple OC

give it more time ... it will come to you ... and keep Googling

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

1 - The maximize button toggles between fitting the window to the content and your previous state.

2 - No idea, likely you are simply clicking too much ;)

3 - This one you should be able to figure out simply by playing around. Try it without the command key.

Bumping is frowned upon. All these answers could have been found by searching, which is why you got the response you did.

4. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

two other thoughts-

Try searching using Mroogle in my signature.

Try posting at an earlier time. There are so many posts on this forum these days that imo threads posted early in am don't seem to get as many reads as prime time posts.

5. Al Coholic macrumors 6502

Ignore the search fanatics. The exist solely to point out how inept they think you are for not knowing about some silly-assed search engine with a silly-assed name.

The maximize button in OSX will only enlarge the window as much as it needs to in order to display whatever content you are seeing without filling the sides with rivers of white. Some don't like this. (and neither do I). The next version (Lion) brings true maximizing capability (like Windows).

To select multiple files just use Shift+Arrow.

Not sure what you're "clicky" problem is.

6. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Ignore the people who post answers that have already been posted in the same thread. They exist solely to put their word in no matter if it contributes to the conversation or not.

7. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

Ha Ha Ha Ha!!!:D

8. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Random answers

Sometimes.

Probably.

Maybe not.

Sure!

9. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I hope this 'feature' is removed from 10.7 before it's release. It is certainly VERY silly to have a full-screen window on a 27" monitor.