Random RAID 0 Question...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Stridder44, May 11, 2008.

1. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

So I had no idea where to post this, but I have a friend who wants to do RAID 0 to his 2 HDDs (yes, they're identical). I've built and maintained many computers for friends/family/etc. but I've never set up RAID 0 before. This would be with Vista Ultimate x64. Is it just going into BIOS, changing it to RAID, and "voila!"?

2. jb60606 macrumors 6502a

You need to be sure that the system's motherboard has RAID hardware/capabilities to begin with. Most newer OEM motherboards have them.

Once you can confirm that, then it is basically just a BIOS adjustment needed. You'll lose all data on both hard drives during the initial RAID setup.

If it doesn't have RAID on board, you could purchase a cheap RAID card off of Newegg.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Also be aware that creating a RAID array, even just RAID 0 mirroring, will normally wipe the drives...

4. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

The motherboard is maybe 2 years old (a little less), so I'm pretty sure it does. I'm assuming Vista will see just one drive (even though it's the 2 of them RAIDed together)?

5. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

RAID 1 is mirroring. RAID 0 is stripped.

If you are setting up a RAID 0 array be aware that if one drive fails you will lose all the data on both drives. You will need a third drive for backup purposes. Normally RAID 0 is only used for those with specific need of the speed advantage it provides and that have other more reliable backup methods.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sorry, my mistake. I just assumed the OP wanted mirroring for the reasons you pointed out :)

7. Stridder44 thread starter macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've read that getting a RAID controller is better/more stable than just plugging them both straight into the motherboard. True/False?