Random rebooting in 3.2.1

Discussion in 'iPad' started by till, Jul 17, 2010.

1. till macrumors member

Has anyone else noticed a distinct lack of stability since upgrading to 3.2.1? I've been using my iPad quite happily for a long time, but today I did a clean restore + upgrade.

As I was setting up Google account sync, it crashed. Black screen, Apple logo. Not a good sign. A little while later, when using the iBooks store, it crashed again.

Normally, since I don't see anyone else complaining, I'd expect that this kind of thing indicates a hardware defect. But since it never ever happened before upgrading, despite heavy usage for months, it's got to be the new firmware, right?

2. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

No probs here. I have never had my iPad crash.

3. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

All OK here. Try D/l upgrade and reinstall, perhaps your d/l got corrupt?

4. wyneken macrumors regular

Same thing happened to me while opening a bunch of tabs at once in iCab — which generally seems to a very clean and stable app. Everything has been okay since then.

I think sometimes it helps — though I'm not sure why — to do a hard reboot occasionally, especially after loading a bunch of new apps or something like that. I have no idea what kind of subtle problem this addresses, but it just seems like iOS likes to take a little power nap to readjust its attitude now and than. Not to anthropomorphize or anything.

5. fupresti macrumors regular

My iPad (and iPhone 4) constantly crash when connected to a dual band network. It's kind of aggravating having to use my Sprint Overdrive for WiFi at work when I have a ridiculously fast connection.

6. holyjohn macrumors regular

That's a good suggestion, I found that many of my iPhone crashes were related to corrupt downloads. Same OS, so I guess that could be the case in iPad too.

7. yahya4k macrumors member

There has been a couple of threads here about it and it has a small trend on google search suggestions. For some people restoring fixes the problem others have had to get a replacement or send it back to Apple for repairs. It seems to be a software problem, so hopefully the next update can address this.:(

8. AppleKash macrumors 6502

AppleKash

No problems here, I don't suspect I will have this problem.... Reboot occasionally solves most issues so as they will not reoccur. Restore again, then see

9. INeedAMacBook macrumors 6502

Restore again see what happens, and is it jail broken

10. mgamber macrumors 6502a

mgamber

Indeed, I almost always have to restore the iPad twice, jailbroken or not. When I put 3.2.1 on it icons started to disappear when I'd restart it so I restored it again and it was fine. When I determined that it didn't fix wifi but just changed the problem I was having, I rolled it back to 3.2 and stock programs like Safari crashed almost as soon as they displayed on the screen. So I restored again and it was fine. Then I ran Spirit to jailbreak it and haven't had any problems. Just the way it is, I guess, and kind of a small trade-off for having a device that you can't "brick" by conventional definition of the word.

11. banky macrumors newbie

My iPad kept rebooting at least once a week, had done at least 6 full restores of it, finally took it in to Apple store last week, they exchanged it for a new one! Was very impressed, the genius looked at it but couldn't figure out what was wrong so just gave me a new one.

New iPad is running 3.2.1 and appears to be fine... Touch wood :)