Random Reboots

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by thatoneguy82, May 19, 2010.

1. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I have an old black MB 2.16 ghz C2D. At times, it locks up and randomly reboots. Sometimes, it gets crazy and reboots again after its done booting up. Sometimes, I get this gray screen that says I have to hold the power button as well. I don't really notice the laptop getting warm at all or the fans turning on that much. I just reinstalled the entire OS and Snow Leopard. I just got a new MBP, so I haven't really been using that one as much (or at all). So, it's hard to say if that fixed it. My applecare runs out on 5/29/2010. And if it's a hardware problem, I'd like to get it fixed prior to my warranty expiring.

Any ideas?

Thanks! :)

2. DJLC macrumors 6502a

DJLC

It sounds like hardware to me. Regardless, I'd just go ahead and call AppleCare. Let them go through their ******** troubleshooting steps, and eventually they'll offer to send you a box. The four times my Macbook has been sent in, they've not only replaced the parts I knew were broken, but also replaced parts I didn't even know had issues. The last time I sent it in I got a new logic board and heat pipe despite having no related problems.

My point is that they should be able to pinpoint the issue and replace the part. Can't hurt to let them have one last crack at it (for free) before it's too late!

3. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Thanks.

Is it better to call AppleCare or go to the Genius Bar? Which one will I have more success with as far as them taking the machine and replacing something?

4. thatoneguy82 thread starter macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Just wanted to update on this.

Brought my MB to the Apple Store Genius Bar. Explained to the Genius what happened, he didn't think it was the HDD since he said it was still in good working order. He thought it was the logic board. Sent it out to get the logic board replaced, also replaced the case and keyboard since it was worn out/chipping. That surprised me since I didn't think they would change that. But, I got it back and it looks and feels like a brand new MB. If it still had AppleCare, I probably could get a good deal on it.