Random Resets driving me Crazy...

Discussion in 'iPod touch Hacks' started by KmanOz, Oct 27, 2007.

1. KmanOz macrumors regular

KmanOz

OK

Heres what I have. IPod Jailbroken with all iPhone apps and the following:

- Installer 3.0b4
    - BSD Subsystem 1.5
    - Summerboard 3.0a11
    - Community Sources 3.0
    - weDict 0.4.1
    - Stumbler 0.04.Ridiculous ver no#
    - MobileChat 2.0.0b
    - Merriam-Webster 2.4.2
    - Thesaurus 2.4.2
    - PlainJain 1.2

Now the reason I listed them all down is becuase I just want whoever might be able to help to know exactly what I installed. The system works fine but every so often becomes unstable and crashes. Sometimes the app crashes back to Summerboard but if you insist on running the app again eventually it crashes back to the standby screen and I need to slide it back on again. Generally after that happens it will work OK until it spits it again sometime. There is no particular app that crashes. It just happens randomly and it seems in most apps. Now before someone says just redo the whole thing, I just have. This is a clean install today all the way from 1.1.1. I decided to becuase it was just pissing me off too much and what do you know its doing it again. I have moved /Applications to /private/var/Applications as well just in case it was somehow running out of space. It did this after I confirmed it was crashing but it doesn't sem to have fixed the problem.

This is a doozie ..

Aaaaaarrrrggggg

Any Ideas Anyone?

2. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

move all the apps that are third party to a symlinked drive, get rid of wallpaper dimming. chmod -Rf a+x /Applications && chmod -Rf a+x /private/var/Applications....

make sure you dont symlink your native ipod/iphone apps

3. Aaleck macrumors 6502a

Aaleck

The problem is caused by Summerboard. If you want all of the cool eye candy then you will have to live with it until they release something better. If you can live without it, you need to restore your ipod and redo the jailbreak or the crashes will continue.

I had the same problem :cool:

4. RazerM macrumors member

I heard elsewhere that the Dim Wallpaper option causes instability (I don't use that option and I've never had a crash), try turning it off if it's on.

5. KmanOz thread starter macrumors regular

KmanOz

Wow thanks guys. I should have checked earlier. I decided to redo the whole thing again just now and this time it just won't be Jailbroken. I am on my 4th attempt now. Gets the the point of 1st shutdown/restart and just hangs there. Sorry to trouble eveyone but any suggestions on this one. I am using the ciurrent version of iJailbreak.

The first time I did this I discivered that I had to unplug the sync cable after I turned it off to reboot. If I didn't it would get stuck at the same spot. This time unplug or plugged in makes no difference. Iv done this 3 times now so I am not making any mistakes. I gues I may have to do it all manually if I have to.

KmanOz

OK.. Sorry fixed it. Decided to do a complete reboot of the PC as wel as D/L a new copy of iJalbreak. Not sure which action did but who cares. OK for the moment I am not going to install Summerboard until they sort some stuff out.

Thanks again..

6. Arisian macrumors 68000

Arisian

I was in the same boat as you. I was going to wait until the bugs were sorted, however... the dimming thing really was what was causing the crash. Also, i seperated my 3rd party apps from my native iphone/ipod apps and that helped alot.

I even went to the point of starting to write my own app that would change the bock and backgrounds, however, the dimming thing really does work. I havent had a single crash in almost a week now and I have started loading all my media back onto it.

I would give summerboard a chance... just remember to seperate your iphone/ipod apps from the third party ones. Some people in the dev channel have been talkinga bout this. I know other people have had no crashing even without doing this...

Good luck
    Arisian

7. shoefly macrumors member

I was also having pretty regular crashes until I turned off background dimming. Now my touch hasn't crashed since I changed that setting.

8. Warped1 macrumors member

9. mattydub macrumors member

is there an option to turn dimming off on the ipod itself?? or will i have to do it through SSH???

10. KmanOz thread starter macrumors regular

KmanOz

SOLD ... Now to check the tuit on Apps. Fingers crossed but I HATE random resets especially in apps that are stable...

Just a quick update. All seems to be working OK. Im very hapy again ...

11. shoefly macrumors member

It's an option in SummerBoard. It's something you have to turn on yourself, so if you haven't turned it on, it's not what is causing your problems.