Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
I just got a new Macbook Pro C2D on Monday and three times now I've experienced a random restart when I expected the machine to sleep when I closed the lid. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong (a setting I could check perhaps?). Has anyone else experience this?

miniguu

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2005
This happened to me once. Shortly after I got a kernel panic.
I had used Migration Assistant to move all my files and apps from a PPC powerbook to the C2D MBP. I deleted and reinstalled all my applications (also deleted all PPC apps) and have been fine since.

Jahz

macrumors newbie
Nov 15, 2006
Hmm. I did a clean Intel-only install and sleep has been good to me... Sleep did hang my machine the very first time I shut the lid, but that was probably because I hadnt rebooted since the first boot, and was copying files from 2 network drives that were offline when the machine woke up. I also had just finished copying 16 GB of files onto the MB and had a dozen apps open. Yeah... I was asking for a crash to sleep it at that moment.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 2, 2005
This happened to me once. Shortly after I got a kernel panic.
I had used Migration Assistant to move all my files and apps from a PPC powerbook to the C2D MBP. I deleted and reinstalled all my applications (also deleted all PPC apps) and have been fine since.

Perhaps this is it. I started with a clean install, but I did transfer some files over FW (didn't use migration assistant though--started it, but it didn't let me pick what to transfer). I installed brand new UB binary versions of most of my utilities and only have 2 PPC only programs.

After the reboot, so far so good. We'll see. I'm hoping for a painless future with my brand new MBP. :)

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
if this happens after a clean install, i suggest that you take it into the Apple Store. Random restarts should not happen.

*knock on wood* i have yet to encounter this, or a kernel panic.

cwc3d

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
I have been having a similar problem with my brand new 17" MBP C2D. After a lot of experimenting, I believe it is a lid/latch issue. What is happening to me is that after I close the lid and the machine goes to sleep any vigorous movement, or even pressing on the lid near the back, will cause it to wake up.

At first I thought this had to do with the Sudden Motion Sensor, but disabling the SMS made no difference. As I was looking at the output of "pmset -g" I noticed there is a parameter called "lidwake". Setting this to zero "pmset -a lidwake 0" fixes my problem.

Of course, this is a temporary workaround only. As soon as I'm back in town for a long enough time, I will be bringing my MBP in for repair since this appears to be a hardware issue.

mka413

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2006
oh, dear. just happened to me too...

The random restart described above just happened to me. For the first time. I shut the lid on my 15" C2D MBP (less than one week old) and set it down only to hear that disconcerting start-up sound. I too had used the Migration Assistant to xfer both files and apps several days ago. (incl. some PPC apps from my G3 iMac.) I'm curious to know if others have found that doing a clean re-install solves the problem ... or if they've had the same difficulties after the re-install.

Thanks.

vader26

macrumors regular
Oct 26, 2006
Seattle
I had this happen once a couple of days ago. It was just sitting on my desk and i shut the lid and a couple seconds later i get the restart sound. It has only happened once but it is a bit disconcerting. Havent tried any re-installs or anything as it only happened once, but will try it if it becomes more of a problem.

noahwf

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2006
SafeSleep connection?

I wonder if the problem might be related to SafeSleep? I've had a new 15" CD2 MacBook Pro for a week or so, and I've already had it restart unexpectedly, twice, just after shutting the lid for sleep. But I think I might have, in each case, moved it off my lap right after shutting the lid. Of course, it sounds like vader26 just had it happen with the machine in place on a desk. More about possible SafeSleep problems is here:
http://www.silvermac.com/2006/how-to-save-your-macbook-pro-hard-drive/

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
I use my MBP in the clamshell mode on the iCurve, connetected to 23" ACD. I don't shut it down; I just make it sleep if I am not using it more than 2.5 hours (I set it up as such in the System Preference pane). Mine has not restarted itself. It stays asleep until I wake it up by tapping the BT keyboard or BT Mighty Mouse.

abh19

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
Macbook C2D restart after closing lid

Macbook C2D 13" 2GHz white. Mine just did the same thing. Brand new, two days ago. I moved all my data over, but didn't use migration assistant - did it manually. I closed the lid to go to sleep, lifted it from my lap and put it on the couch next to me and then the restart sound occurred. I opened the lid to see what was going on and I could see the apple logo, but no backlight until later in the startup process. I was running on battery. I haven't done anything weird to the computer yet, except for installing Fan Control 1.1 (not cause it's super hot, but mainly out of curiosity). I was runnning omnioutliner pro and maybe safari, but not much else that I can remember.

abh19

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2006
start after closing lid

I just read the article quoted above (http://www.silvermac.com/2006/how-to-save-your-macbook-pro-hard-drive/) and it seems logical that something like this is happening: the computer tries to write the ram to disk on sleep, then you move the computer during this process which activates the sudden motion sensor (I can't see the acceleration forces of setting the macbook on a couch enough to bother the hard drive itself, I mean, the drive is designed for that kind of thing). Here's my idea: when you move the macbook at this time, the SMS sensors activate, but it can't park the drive during this procedure and it restarts to prevent subsequent recovery from a potentially corrupted memory image. It figures its better to wipe your info than recover with corruption.

Just speculation... What do people think about that explanation? Oh, and how does the person who wrote the article know that SMS doesn't work when writing the memory image for safe-sleep?

noahwf

macrumors newbie
Nov 23, 2006
It worked!

Since contributing the post above I've tried making no large movements with my laptop until after Safe Sleep has done its thing (until the sleep light goes from solid to pulse). It's worked. No sudden restarts on sleep since I started. Though, admittedly, it's only been a couple weeks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.