Random restarting with 2009 iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by clownbaby, Nov 12, 2014.

1. clownbaby macrumors member

Jan 16, 2009
    Hello all,

My iMac will randomly restart itself with no forewarning. It's not at set times nor is it "consistent" so to speak, though it does happen 5-7 times a week. It will simply restart and then reboot with the message that I restarted because of a problem. I tried googling and using the apple fixes but nothing has worked. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. dasmin19 macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2014
    I had Yosemite installed for a week. Then Safari started closing and my mac restarted. Then I got back on, and tried to open Firefox; it crashed, then imac restarted. On Monday of last week, computer restarted, and won't come back on for me. So now, if I power it on, it goes half way with bar. Then shuts down. I have a late 2009 imac.

I screwed up and never made a back on my imac. So the only thing I believe; i can do, is load Yosemite on external drive. And try to boot in that way.

So good luck.:)
  3. clownbaby thread starter macrumors member

Jan 16, 2009
    Unfortunately I've had the issue since before Yosemite. I'd say it's been going on for about a year now. Not sure if my hard drive is failing or something else is going on.
  4. poiihy macrumors 68020

Aug 22, 2014
    I've had the same problem with my Mid-2009 MacBook Pro. It was bad RAM that the previous owner upgraded in (it was 8GB). Do a test with Apple Hardware Test and/or Memtest86.

Apple Hardware Test: http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201257
    Memtest86: http://www.memtest86.com/

Right now I am sharing the 2x2GB (4GB) RAM between my 2009 iMac and 2009 MacBook Pro until i buy more RAM. :\
  5. dasmin19, Nov 12, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2014

dasmin19 macrumors newbie

Jun 27, 2014
    Exactly, I think I was the first time iMac purchaser, who had an issue from the start. lol. The first week I had it, the fan would start blowing and never turn off, unless I restarted it. But I got pass that. But with this new problem like the original poster. I think my hard drive is jacked up. I ran the /sbin/fsck -fy, it tells me "Invalid leaf record count(It should be 5439 instead of 5433). Rebuilding catalog B-tree. Disk full error. The volume Macintosh HD could not be repaired.