Random restarts

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by melapple, Dec 29, 2015.

1. melapple macrumors regular

My 4th generation Apple TV sometimes restarts when I double click the home button to get to the multitasker screen or when I start the live screensaver or sometimes when I come back to the home screen from the screensaver. Any one experiencing the same?
    Any suggestions? Should I be worried?

Thanks,

2. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Have never had any of that happen to me, and I got mine on launch day. Do a hard reset, start from scratch and if that doesn't work, exchange it for a new one.

3. melapple thread starter macrumors regular

just updating this if it may help anyone having the same problem.
    I rest all settings to no avail and went as far as restoring my unit. The random restart would still continue.
    I contacted Apple Support. They acknowledged the unit was defective and have sent me a new Apple TV.
    Will get it tomorrow via UPS. Hopefully this one will work as it is supposed to.

4. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I am interested to see what happens with the new Apple TV. I have had Random restarts as well. But that are Random so have not worried about it so far.

5. melapple thread starter macrumors regular

just finished "installing" the replacement Apple TV. No restarts when I launched apps or going back to the home screen. However, prompting the screensaver (double click on menu button) once caused the unit to restart. Really worried this unit might be defective. Need to give it more time to know for sure. Kind of disappointed if you ask me

6. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

FYI... When I got my the first ATV 4 I was getting a number of restarts. I could repeat at will. Then when the first tvOS Update came out it reduce a lot. But still from time to time i will get a restart. I am thinking the problem is SOFTWARE. Either in tvOS or in the App or a combination of both.

Here is an update from one of my Apps. Just an example.

FIXED: Video player would crash in rare circumstances.

7. melapple, Jan 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016

melapple thread starter macrumors regular

The fact is that the previous unit once restarted three times just while going through all the apps that I had downloaded again after restoring the unit. It also restarted several times when returning to the home screen from the screensaver. Clearly these are linked to the OS rather than to a specific app. Hopefully this replacement will work fine. One thing is sure. I know know better than to manually start the screensaver double clicking the menu button

8. fpnc macrumors 68000

I've seen something like this happen a few times and I got my ATV4 the first day that they became available in the retail stores. So, I think it has happened about once every two weeks and on average I use my Apple TV for a few hours each day. However, it doesn't seem to be a complete restart or reboot, more like a very quick reinitialization of the UI or reset of the graphics. Thus, we may be talking about a completely different behavior.

9. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

This better describes what happens to me. Sometimes takes a little longer. But still it is just a few seconds.

10. melapple thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, you are right, proper restarts last longer than these instances. However Apple support agreed that this shouldn't be the case so I guess I was right to request a replacement

11. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

I'm still running an ATV3 and get constant reboots. I guess Apple have gone from "It just works." to "It might work a little, sometimes."