Random Safari Networking high CPU usage

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by loumi02, Feb 18, 2017.

1. loumi02 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

Ever since I updated to the latest version of Sierra (I had 10.12.0 previously), I've been having problems with the Safari Networking process randomly hogging all my CPU. Literally all 400% of it.

I've got a 2015 15" rMBP, if that helps. The issue happens very regularly (every couple of hours), I quit Safari, it goes away, and then it comes back soon afterwards. It's getting really annoying and I'm trying to figure out a way to fix it. Can anyone help?

Thanks!

2. Mindinversion macrumors 6502

Mindinversion

Make, model, year, computer illiteracy, tendency to follow random links, have you attempted PRAM reset, run ONYX automated cleanup, run antivirus/antimalware [malwarebytes is a good free tool]

3. loumi02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hello you too. I've given the make/model/year in my post? I'm also not "computer illiterate" as you put it, I don't follow random links and don't open random programs.

I've tried a PRAM reset before, with no result. I've also tried turning off all Safari plugins and that didn't work either. Since the issue started appearing after I updated the OS (again, something I stated in my post) I thought it may be a bug or have something to do with Safari because I doubt a virus would start hogging the CPU only after an OS update. There are also no other signs of viruses (no random pop-ups, my computer isn't slow)

4. bartvk, Feb 18, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2017

bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

Do you have some extensions that might cause problems?

5. loumi02 thread starter macrumors newbie

The only thing I've got still turned on is Adblock. Could it be that?

6. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I would uninstall Adblock and reset your wireless network see if that helps.

8. StrokeDoc macrumors newbie

I'm assuming you updated from the Mac App Store. If you jumped from 10.12.0 to 10.12.3 you need to update through downloading the combo update.

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1905?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

This will combine updates from 10.12.0 till 10.12.3. Use the Mac App store to update when you're going to update between consecutive editions 10.12.1 to 10.12.2, 10.12.2 to 10.12.3, not 10.12.1 to 10.12.3 and so on.

I hope that helps.
    Cheers

9. loumi02 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ooooh, really? I've never done that before when skipping between updates. I just assumed that since the MAS let me update, it must have been fine.
    What do I do now though? Now that I've already used the Mac App Store? Should I still get the combo update even though my system is up to date?
    --- Post Merged, Feb 18, 2017 ---
    Thanks, I'll try that, hopefully it works!

10. StrokeDoc macrumors newbie

Yes, download it and install it just like any other update.