Random "Safe Boot" on 2010 15" MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by erictooth, May 21, 2011.

1. erictooth macrumors newbie

Last week I installed 8GB of ram from OWC in my MBP, and it has been working very well, until today.

I turned it on this morning and saw a gray loading bar under the spinning wheel, and it said "Safe Boot". Already worried, I rebooted it immediately and it took about 45 seconds (it's usually 1/4 of a wheel spin with the ocz vertex 1 ssd). It seemed to be running fine, so I rebooted it again, and it started in Safe Boot. Rebooted again, and some icons on the dock were there, but blank (I could click where they used to be and the app would start).

I would say I'm very, very experienced with diagnosing PC problems. But since this is the first Mac I've ever used, I'm not really sure where to look to get any clues. What should I be looking for in Console? I glanced at System.log, which was very cluttered, but I did see a few things where a bunch of kexts couldn't be validated or something. I'm thinking it's the SSD, but any input you guys have would be nice.

So far all I've done is run the apple hardware test (pass), and two sweeps in memtest (pass). When I verified the disk (not permissions, the disk verify) in disk utility, it said everything was fine. I then tried resetting the smc four times, pram twice, and repaired the permissions a few times, which hasn't helped.

2. erictooth thread starter macrumors newbie

Bump.

Any ideas?? I put the original RAM and hard drive back in, reset the SMC/PRAM and reinstalled OS X, but just a few minutes ago it booted up with the gray progress bar thing and said "Safe Boot" at the login screen. Time to take it to the apple store?? I wish I could do more to try to figure it out myself before I take it but I'm not familiar enough with macs.

3. cenkie macrumors newbie

Keeps happening!

The same exact thing keeps happening to my mid-2010 iMac after the update! If I shut down my mac, it starts in safe boot asking for my password. I enter my pasword, mac starts in safe boot, takes a while to recognize the BT keyboard and mouse. Then, if I click restart, evertything gets back to normal. Any solutions? Suggestions?