Random Shared Comp (Help)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SachaMac, Dec 28, 2012.

1. SachaMac macrumors newbie

Hi, recently I noticed that a random shared computer has been popping up in my shared category in the finder. Im not sure if this is a virus of malware, but I ran a full scan using MacScan and nothing came up. Any idea if i should be worried about this thing? There are no windows computers in my home and thats what it identifies as.
    heres a screenshot...

https://twitter.com/SachaSagasi/status/284635452617654272/photo/1

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're on wifi, you have a neighbor using your internet. Do you have a password set for your password. I recommend using WPA2

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

As maflynn said, that indicates the presence of another computer sharing your network. Make sure your network has a long and complex WPA2 password set. You may also want to change it periodically.
    It has nothing to do with malware.

Mac Virus/Malware FAQ

4. macuserx86 macrumors 6502a

macuserx86

Yup, as the others have said, you have an intruder! :D

Change your wifi settings to have a WPA2 password

5. SachaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

What if i already have a password? It isn't easy to guess either. Nor do i imagine either one of my neighbors (all old people) have the ability to "crack" the wifi network.

6. snaky69 macrumors 603

One of them may very well have all the time in the world to try and crack it, after all, retired people have a lot of free time!

Just change your Network's password, reboot the router to kick any device off of it, and see if it comes back.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is it a WPA2 password? Try changing it and see if the shared computer still appears.

8. SachaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, it's WPA2 (according to my boyfriend)
    He thinks it may be one of his friends computers when they come over.
    That being said, if by some chance that it wasnt someone stealing my wifi, or one of his friends computers, what could it be? I havent torrented anything, but I did download around 3 iphone searchers to get the music from my phone onto my mac.
    One was iExplorer from the iExplorer website.
    the other was iFunbox.
    This is why I'm afraid of it being malware or a virus. : (

9. Ploki macrumors 68000

It's not.

It's another laptop on your network.

No malware, no virus. (Well, you might have it, but this is not a symptom of it.)

10. monkeybagel macrumors 65816

That appears to be an HP wireless photo printer. Do you own one of those?

11. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There has never been a Mac OS X virus in the wild, so you can't be affected by something that doesn't exist. The few trojans that exist in the wild are easily avoided and quite rare for a Mac user to encounter. The presence of a shared device is not an indication of any malware, which means it's not a virus, trojan, etc. Read the link in my earlier post.

12. SachaMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

Yes! I Do! Thank you, thats exactly what it is because when I shut it off the device never shows up!:D